News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Climax and DCC

Started by baldonia, September 22, 2007, 01:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldonia

I have purchased a second hand ON30 Climax, which is apparently set up for DCC operation - how do I "unset" it up so it can use regular system?

the Bach-man

Dear Baldonia,
Here are the steps:
1.) Open box.
2.) Place on track.
3.) Run.
Really- it's that simple!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hunt

Since your Climax is a second hand purchase… if your locomotive will not run on DC power it is possible the Power Source Conversion on the DCC decoder is disabled. It is a common practice of knowledgeable DCC users to disable the Power Source Conversion.

Since you are not going to use DCC
Program a value of 8 to CV 8. This will reset all CVs to their factory set value and will enable the Power Source Conversion.

However, if you don’t have access to a DCC command system to program CV 8, then unplug the decoder and plug in the Jumper plug  (could be two, 3-pin wire Jumper) in the 8-pin socket. Check your instructions to determine if a Jumper plug (or wires) is included as a separate item in the box.

the Bach-man

Dear Baldonia,
Sorry, I missed the "second hand" part...
Remove the coal (or other fuel) load and check to see if the decoder is still plugged in. If you only want to consider analog, remove the decoder and replace the shorting plug, as Hunt says. If it's no longer there, service will supply a new one.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

wjstix

I would try it on DC first, if you haven't already. Many decoders allow the engine to still run on DC power, or at least can be set to allow that. So it could be it will run on DC as is. If not, you won't hurt anything by trying it.  :)

sierrarrer

I am bidding on a climax loco HO ON3 on e-bay but the seller couldn't answer my question and referred me here. Will this loco run on regular HO code 100 track or is HO ON3 a different size? Please help.

max (uk)

sierrarrer, first this HO ON3 is very confusing it can only be HO, On3 or HOn3 But it sounds to me as if its narrow gauge, prahaps you could send a link of this item so we could have a look at it for you.

It sounds to me that you are probably talking about an On30 Climax which can run on HO track as they are advertised.