News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 layout survey

Started by BIG BEAR, April 27, 2007, 03:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG BEAR

I'm just trying to give the "thirty" board a little boost.  I am also interested in what others are doing in this hobby.

1. What is your On30 display? Mining, or logging operations, Christmas village, Mfg. ops., or a circle around Christmas tree?

2 What do you have for Buildings on your layout? Scratch built, Plasticville,
Dept. 56?

3. What era does your layout represent? Civil war, turn of century, modern,
or let us know the exact date.

4. What size and type is your layout? Shelf type , table top, walk around, 4x8, ping pong table, Etc...

Just try to have fun and let others enjoy your efforts also.

Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

rich19

1. What is your On30 display? Louisiana common carier. Point-to-point from port (landing) to major city and normal gauge mainline (with transfer).

2 What do you have for Buildings on your layout? Scratch built. Most industries in LA and in this era are not commercially available. However, they can be easily built "board by board" from coffee stirrers and stripwood: salt mine, sugar mill, rice mill, etc.

3. What era does your layout represent? 1880 - 1890's. That's the reason I'm still hoping for a 4-4-0......

4. What size and type is your layout? Shelf type, appr. 20 x 13.

Richard, Austria

epeorus

1. What is your On30 display? Mining, or logging operations, Christmas village, Mfg. ops., or a circle around Christmas tree?

Sort of a what-if ... the Chili Line (D&RGW) operating as a branch line from Espanola, New Mexico into the Valle Grande to exploit timber.

Dept. 56?

About half are scratchbuilt, lots of adobe buildings, and the remainder are wood, resin, etc., craftsman-type kits.

The layout depicts the end of operations on the line in 1949 (Fall).  Lots of borrowed equipment from the D&RGW, RGS, and others, re-gauged from three-feet to 30 inches.

4. What size and type is your layout? Shelf type , table top, walk around, 4x8, ping pong table, Etc...

Fills about 3/4 of a two-car garage.  Around the wall with two peninsuals.  Approximately, 12' x 18',

The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

geezerjim

1.  What - Mixed industry Colorado narrow gauge -

2.  Structures - none

3.  Depression era

4.  Currently 2' x 8' timesaver - moving to a space that will allow a 10 x 10 footprint.

Right now this is a toy train layout using ez-track which I use to entertain my grandchildren.  I want them to participate in the construction of the new layaout and we'll see what evolves.

toysnstuff

So. Cal. Desert, Mining and some Logging in mtns, w/Interchange to Major Carrier (ATSF).

Dept. 56?
50/50 Craftsman kits and Scratchbuilts.

or let us know the exact date. Mostly late 1940's

#1, Lg. Oval w/spur for the Tree, #2 Shelf w/Peniinsula in 'The Room', #1 starting a Modular Group in My Town.
No Trees, Flora or Fauna were hurt in the production of this message however, Quite a few Electrons were disturbed or otherwise agitated. ;-)

japasha

1.  My layout is in Northwestern California, originally a logging line left to rust in the 50s and brought back when local enviromentalists passed an ordinance prohibiting large trucks on county road to prevent mining and logging.

2. Modified Ho buildings, some Atlas, some Plasticville and many craftsman kits.

3. My layout represents the 1990s with recovered vintage narrow gauge equipment being used

4. My layout is a table type with a folded dogbone 15 x 9 feet.

rgsniles

1.  Colorado narrow gage, with no specific prototype, I like many different Colorado railroads.  Mining, livestock, and mixed freight.

2. None yet; all will be scratch built as Oscale kits are way out of my price range.

3.  1930's and 40's.

4.Shelf type with peninsula, 13' by 26'.

I was at a point of ready to start my 4th  new HO, HOn3 layout when I went to a MRR show and On30 hooked me.  I love the On30 stuff, especially Bachmann,  and I think DCC and sound is the single greatest thing ever to happen to model railroading, it just came alive.  I am waiting patiently for Bachmann to produce their 2-6-0 mogul as DCC ready or onboard.

kendoitall

Small point-to-point general merchandise and daily train passenger service. Main industries are ice service and coal from standard guage interchange to local towns.

Dept. 56?

Mostly kits, some scratchbuilt, lots of kits and parts in closet awaiting lazy construction crew.

1940-1959 depending on what point of time my feeble and aged mind has receded to on a given day. Er, is Eisenhower still the president? :-\

Point to point, some open frame, some shelving with much styrofoam (Woodland Scenics reportedly has my picture hanging over the desk of their Chief Financial Officer) - turntable reversing at interchange town to wye at other end of line. 30 feet long, width varies from two feet to about four feet. Height is 36" and up due to attic knee wall.
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

kendoitall

Quote from: rgsniles on April 28, 2007, 05:38:15 PM

I love the On30 stuff, especially Bachmann,  and I think DCC and sound is the single greatest thing ever to happen to model railroading, it just came alive.  I am waiting patiently for Bachmann to produce their 2-6-0 mogul as DCC ready or onboard.

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment. Sound is really what makes visitor's eyes bulge, not the amount of rivets on the locos. More Soundtraxx Tsunami-equpped Bachmann locos, please. Or at least DCC ready.
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

mac1960

1. The Milwaukee Road's narrow gauge branch from Bellevue to Cascade, Iowa. Point to point operation.

2. Mostly scratch built with some modified kits.

3. 1930's

4. Shelf layout, doulbe decked, 30 x 28.

JohnR

1) Northern California - at home, and with modules. 

2) Mostly kits.

3) 1900 - 1940

4) Mostly light weight modules.  Just retired semi-permanent 1x4 framed home layout.  Home was (and will be) about 10x10.  Away from home and combined with others, layout is about 24 x36.

-John

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

My On30 railroad is a work in progress.   While it has a heavy influence from the EBT,  thus coal hoppers make up a majority of the rolling stock,  the railroad is there to move oil,  general merchandise, and a small amount of livestock.   The buildings are a combination of laser kits from American Model Builders,  Banta,  and Raggs to Riches.  It is an open grid benchwork set up at one end of an 26x40 basement and extends along the front wall of the house,  over the HO railroad for about 18 feet.  Time frame is
10:35am,   October 20,  1959......no, just kidding,  there is no real time frame though most of the vehicles would suggest the mid to late 50s and is set in the fall of the year to take advantage of the various colors on the trees.  The railroad is controlled by a Digitrax Chief and most of the engines have sound.   The rolling stock is 100% Bachmann and the engines are 99% Bachmann,  with one BLI 2-8-0 and 2 MMI K27s.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

scottychaos

I havent started the layout yet, but I plan to start this winter.
I will be using Bachmann On30 equipment, regauged to On2.
here are my layout ideas so far:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/On2layout/index.html

Dept. 56?

Some scratchbuilt, and some from wood laser-cut kits.

1890-1920 Maine.

14X12 feet.

Scot

MilesB

Quote from: ebtbob on May 01, 2007, 07:00:49 AM
 The rolling stock is 100% Bachmann and the engines are 99% Bachmann,  with one BLI 2-8-0 and 2 MMI K27s.
Bob

So, you have 99% Bachmann engines, plus three others... does this mean you have 297 Bachmann engines  :o ... they must LOVE you  ;D

Back on subjuct:

1. Maine Two foot, based on the proposed but never built Skowhegan & Athens.

2. Laser cut wood kits IF I can get them, and scratch built otherwise.

3. 1930's (probably)

4. Well, it all depends on which room I get, but I plan on having models of Skowhegan (terminus and interchange with the MeC) and Athens (HQ, and start point of the northern extensions...)

Miles

ebtbob

Miles,

I can only dream of having a place big enough to have model railroad with 300 engines.   But then,  when thinking of the maintence....naw....

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org