Main Menu

On30 layout survey

Started by BIG BEAR, April 27, 2007, 03:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

br549

1.Logging and mining
2.Primarily scratch built
3. the 1930's
4.45'x16'x24' L girder with a 3% grade all hand laid track.

Dusten Barefoot

1. What is your On30 display? Mining, or logging operations, Christmas village, Mfg. ops., or a circle around Christmas tree?

Passenger and farm supplyer to the feild workers.

2 What do you have for Buildings on your layout? Scratch built, Plasticville.

Not any yet but planning own getting a part time job during the summer,to buy some.

3. What era does your layout represent? Civil war, turn of century, modern,
or let us know the exact date.

My layout is  the Black River & Southern RR is in present day and is based on a 15 year old kid who has built a steam powerd model's that run on coal and water in On30 and has got a assembley line going and has built a small railroad going from county to county in north carolina hauling feild supplies to the farmers and taking cotton and tobbaco to the gins and barns I also run a 5 car passenger trains through to the towns near Dunn and Fayettvill . by the way the kid is me and i do have the scale drawings to make a real On30 steam train. 1 of my attempts blew the bake head of the boiler aftre 1/2 pound of psi.

4. What size and type is your layout? Shelf type , table top, walk around, 4x8, ping pong table, Etc...

It is two 4x8s and a connecting 2x12.

I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Doug 2

1. Christmas Village.
2. Department 56
3. Fantasy Dickens Era
4. 7' x 14' Boards set up on top of my pool table each November through January

Jeff in NJ

1. What is your On30 display? logging and mining operations along w/ narrow gauge shortline operations.

2 What do you have for Buildings on your layout? K-Line operating sawmill, billboard and Starlight Diner, Woodlands Scenic pre-fab station, Plasticville water tower and switch tower, two Bachmann trolley houses (from the point-to-point sets), Disney Haunted Mansion, hilltop X-mas town w/ operating fountain, lots of cheap trees, most still w/ snow on them.

3. What era does your layout represent? turn of century/ early 20th century.

4. What size and type is your layout? two 30"X 8' folding tables side by side...so 8' X 5'

BIG BEAR

Time for the originator to post.
    My On30 display/ layout is a Christmas village. and surrounding country.
With farms and rivers. I also have some logging , the logging of Cristmas trees. Double loop 1 for Passenger service, & 1 for freight.

My buildings are mostly Lemax, some Dept. 56 & others. Almost 50 total.
It took 8 years to get there, but now I can be more particular with what I
purchase.
    I have an Idea for scratch-built water towers to service my steamers, just gathering the pieces now though.

Era I am working in is late 1800-early 1900 no autombiles just trains & trolleys. Many horse drawn carts, buggies,& a stage coach at the terminal.
     Rich, I feel your pain, I also NEED a 4-4-0 to help make things complete.

My alotted space is 5x8 country setting w/ double loop & 3 ft upper level city along 2 sides, w/ trolley. this is a complete walk around layout/display.

Jeff, I love what your doing with EZ-track. You could get the snow effect with a white sheet, or I use Quilt batting. If snow is an effect you would be looking for.
     this years expansion was the logging & sale of Cristmas trees. Next year
I'll have a stock yard w/ a siding to that. Just to justify the purshase of flat cars & Stock cars. (not nascar).

Please continue to share your layouts, & Enjoy,

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Jeff in NJ

Quote from: BIG BEAR on May 03, 2007, 01:22:24 AM

Jeff, I love what your doing with EZ-track. You could get the snow effect with a white sheet, or I use Quilt batting. If snow is an effect you would be looking for.

Barry

Thanks, I designed the layout using the RR Track design software, then purchased the track and began the set-up.

I'm actually planning on repainting the trees various greens and adding some non-evergreen trees in autumn colors. Then I'd cover the snowy rooftops, figure bases, etc, that are on the layout w/ a cover of leaves.

I'll leave the table top as-is since I sometimes like to change the whole track set-up around.

dto

My future railroad isn't based on any known prototype, but it's an uncommon carrier transporting supplies and personnel from the port of Chryse Station, winding through Tarsis Montes until it reaches the mining operations at Tempe Terra.  Along the way, tourists have a breathtaking view of Valles Marineris, and can board the Olympus Mons Funicular Railway.

;)

Maine 2 Foot

Currently in planning after I move. SR&RL 30 incher instead of 2 footer...LOL. hopefully about spare bedroom size 12 by 14 ish...

Mostly adapted Bach freight cars with Low Profile arch bar trucks and lowered. Forneys rule, but have one 2-8-0 semi freelanced based on an order that never was but proposed for a sister maine 2 foot line. Have brass passenger cars adapted with On30 trucks.

No buildings yet, but will mostly have craftmann and custom built.

Vince

wade

1. scenes from the WW&F and SR&RL
2. a few special run kits, will kitbash others in the future
3. 1920s
4. 12x12 L grid
As of now I have only just begun benchwork. I have had my eye on 0n30 for some 5 years or so but when Bachmann announced the forneys I could no longer resist.
Wade
Wade

Frank

This is still partly at the dreaming stage, though locos, some wagons and coaches exist, mostly severely hacked Bachmann.

1. The Moonshine, Mine and Logging Co Ltd. Note the ',' which makes it a list of products in order of importance. Mining operation is Gold, but not having water on site, the quartz ore has to be moved to the stamp mill.

2. Some kit built where there is something suitable/affordable, but I'll scratchbuild or modify when necessary.

3. Prohibition! Hence Moonshine...I can play cops and robbers as well as trains.

4. I have a room about 28 ft by 15 ft, but it is a toss up as to whether it houses On30 or Welsh narrow gauge. For On30 at the moment I have a few buildings, and I'm on with a timber trestle, 6ft long, 2ft 6 inch deep, on a gradient and an S bend, which as I've never attempted one before is 'interesting'.

One of the benefits of starting messing with On30 has been a reawakening of the pleasure of working with wood.

Frank

bwreno

Hi,

1.  Logging, Coal mining, general freight

2.  Many Korber, Trackmun, Design Preservation, Downtown Deco, some Walters, Ameritowne. other easy kits--craftsman kits NO (not enough skill or patience).

3.  20's to 1949 (coal) - Bachmann - 2 shays, 2 climaxes, 1 porter----4 MMI - 2 K27's and 2 K28's.  50 autos, 20 pickups, 15 trucks.  8 passenger cars, not many freight cars (waiting for Bachmann to provide sets with different car numbers and lower trucks)  Track- Old Pullman (code 83), hidden track- Atlas.

4.  12x36 walkaround folded dogbone (along the walls).  40 switches - one yard, one town, 3 continuous double loops (12 tracks that cross at different elevations and disappear here and there)  for 1 passenger, 2 freight trains, will be DDC.  The three trains run contiuously, never crossing or sharing same track.

Thanx,  bob

BIG BEAR

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Steve Magee

1. Fairly simple logging line, point to  point with switchback to the upper deck. !920's - 30's with a Davenport time traveller and its engineer, Dr Who.  ;)

2, Whatever works - plastic, craftsman, etc

3. Around the walls, 14' x 24'

Some pics of the layout are in my photo folder on the On30 conspiracy Yahoo group.

450sel

1. What is your On30 display? Mining, or logging operations, Christmas village, Mfg. ops., or a circle around Christmas tree?

Mining, Mfg. ops., passenger traffic, harbour, all in a fictional area

2 What do you have for Buildings on your layout? Scratch built, Plasticville,
Dept. 56?

Some craftsman kits , rest scratchbuilt.

3. What era does your layout represent? Civil war, turn of century, modern,
or let us know the exact date.

1960 -1970

4. What size and type is your layout? Shelf type , table top, walk around, 4x8, ping pong table, Etc...

Around the walls with a lift out section at the doorway, Size of the room: 20' x 7.5'

More info on my website: http://home.planet.nl/~wijs0822/

SteamGene

Our current On30 is purely Christmas, with mostly Hawthorne Village decorated Bachmann 2-6-0 and passenger cars with one low side gon and a Gramps tanker.  Buildings are Hawthorne Village and a few other similar ones.  My wife apparently wants to run the Christmas train on the VT&P, but I don't think the loco can get through all the bridges.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"