News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Saw Filer's Car

Started by Anubis, January 20, 2010, 10:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

Hello Bach-mann,

I am currently awaiting the delivery of my On30 (160-26994) Saw Filer's Car, which should arrive in about three weeks from yesterday.

I am planning on fitting this thing onto a spur track on my mine layout, and I am looking at a rather small area that has been begging for some focal point.

If anyone has one of these things (or the similar 160-26994 Mess Car) would I be able to trouble them for the external dimensions? The Bachmann site doesn't list this information at all.

This will allow me to  prepare the spot now, and save a few weeks of guess work.

Many thanks ;D ;D ;D
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Ken

Anubus

The length of the cars is 6 & 3/8 inches.
           width                      1 & 7/8inches.

Ken
      GWN

Anubis

Hi Ken,

Many thanks. 

I always knew that On30 people were the BEST! :)

Anubis

Hello again Ken,

One other question, if you don't mind.

Is the car equipped with internal lighting, as are some of the other of Bachmann's coaches?

Thank you. ;)

Ken

Anubus

The cars do not have lighting, my set will be spotted on a spur and not run so I will likly add some  interior lighting and detail.

Ken
      GWN

Anubis

Hi Ken,

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines.

Good Onya. ;D

Anubis

I just received my Bachmann Saw Filer's Car, and it immediately went onto the prepared spot on the (disused) mine siding.

The wiring looms for the interior and exterior lighting had previously been added, and I was looking forward to fitting it all out, when it occurred to me that something just didn't LOOK right. ::)

It puzzled me for a few hours, until I grabbed my scale ruler and checked some of the dimensions.

Width was OK at 7 feet, length was fine at 26 feet, and headroom was acceptable at between 5' 9" and 6' 9"......so what was the trouble?

Then it hit me....the doors! Whilst the width of them was all right, at 2' 3", the total height was only 4' 9", which meant that a reasonably-sized O scale bloke might just have a bit of trouble getting through! ???

I'm not sure whether Bachmann are aware of this anomaly, but it simply means that when I add the interior detailing and lighting, I shall have to fit taller doors..........This will be OK for the ends, where there is sufficient headroom to allow it, but the door in the side will have to remain impossibly under height.

(Aldous Huxley once said "There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors......" )

Old Aldous was right about the in-between doors.....  :D