News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Making and Printing Decals

Started by chuff_n_puff, April 27, 2007, 04:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

Need help! I have got a permanant ink printer and some Walthers decal paper. I have tried from draft to high color settings and get terrible copies. What's the trick?

WoundedBear

Sometimes when I printed decals I had to set my printer for "glossy" or "coated" paper. That may be the issue.

Sid

morrisf

I'm not sure what you mean by "permanent" ink, but inkjet printers need a special decal paper that has a special coating to prevent ink from beading up.

I've had good luck with Micro-Mark's Inkjet decal paper.

Morris

duker1

The above replys are correct. Also may want to do test print on regular computer paper. You may also want to clean your print jets using your printers  software program. Best to use a laser jet printer or go to Kinko's.

The Duke....

r.cprmier

The paper I use comes from "Bel", a company in Florida.  Check through "yahoo" etc. 

One thing I will tell you is that when you print decals-and I use a regular Hewlett-Packard Officejet-print the image, then, after it comes out and dries, spray it with either Dullcote@ or another coating.  I give my decals two coats-one certical, and one horizontal.  I believe that that application locks in the protection.  Then, when you soak them as per instructions, the image is protected.
Also, Wounded Bear is correct by checking the setting on your printer.   The printer is a machine, and it will do exactly what you tell it to do, not neccessarily what you want it to do...Mine has a "glossy Paper" setting, and i go accordingly.  Also, make sure the right side is up...

If you are using colours for lighter images, such as yellow, you will have a harder time than with the darker colours, unless you are using an Alps printer.   If you like, I will send you a pic or two of my finished product.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

Hi Rich,

I sure would appreciate seeing a couple photos of your decal work. If you don't want to post here, use my eMail. Look forward to seeing them! Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler