first e-z track layout problems

Started by Bud Beers, January 27, 2010, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Beers

I'm working in N-scale and have a e-z track layout.  My problem is a bought a switch and extra track to put in a siding.  After test fitting the track and satisfied with the layout, I tried to run the engine over the track.......you guess it, it didn't run at all.  I took out the switch and it ran.   What in the heck did I do wrong.

pdlethbridge

could you show us the plan? If you have a reverse loop, it would cause a short.

Cody J

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/500/simple.gif

If your siding looks something like that then you have a problem. It's simple really, the positive (+) rail meets the negative (-) rail to make your locomotive not run.
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Bud Beers

To clear it up a little.  I have one loop in a 4X 2 layout board.  The siding comes of the front straight. It runs alongside the main line and then turns in to the middle of the layout and stops. It does not reattach to the main line.

James in FL

Hi Bud Beers,

If your terminial/re-railer track is on the main line (it needs to be) and you are still having problems, then look into the switch.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8792.0.html

As you see in the pics, B'mann has not been consistent in their wiring of these turnouts, for whatever reason (engineering change?).
Either way, the turnout will function properly if wired in one of the two ways shown.
After turning the turnout upside down and removing the 3 Phillips head screws and the back plate, check the rack to pinion orientation.
The points need to securely contact the stock rails in both directions the switch is thrown.
You may be a "tooth off" in either direction (rack to pinion).
Be careful and take your time, the parts will fall out if you try to turn it right side up with the back plate off.

Good Luck

Bud Beers

To all that replied to my problem, Thanks.  To James in FL. your info really saved me a lot of agaivation.   The switch was the problem, and with your pictures and info I was able to start my first layout.  Thanks again.

James in FL

Glad you figured it out and were able to implement a fix.
Model railroading is a tinkering (not sure that's a word) hobby.
But if you can tinker, and have the time and desire to do so, it's very rewarding.

With the exception of a very few turnouts out of the box, most all need to be fine tuned from most all manufacturers (points filed, gauging, guard rail adjustment, etc.) to be problem free and reliable.
It's a given.

In today's society of instant gratification, and perfection, model railroading sometimes falls a little short.
Although defiantly moving in that direction, to me, that is what makes the hobby what it is.
I don't mind the tinkering, and in fact, I welcome it.
It keeps me off the streets and at home, and I find a little pride, and sense of accomplishment, if I can find a way to make something a little bit better than the way it was.

Better than that, is to help a fellow hobbyist not struggle, as I have, through the school of hard knocks.

You are very welcome.

Run those trains.
(N)joy the hobby.
Have fun, that's what it's all about!