News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

russian 2-10-0

Started by Lucas1969, April 28, 2007, 06:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas1969

Hello,
I buy an Bachmann russian 2-10-0 an i try to pull more than 5 wagon with it and the engine looks like missing pulling power, it is normal, i pulling more than 8 with my old ihc 0-8-0.

tank's for help.

Luc

lanny

Hi Luc,

I have never used an IHC 0-8-0, but have an IHC 2-10-2. They (IHCs) are quite heavy, and very good pullers.

The Spectrum 2-10-0 is, in comparison, a small, light-weight locomotive (the Russian Dec was prototypically a small locomotive) and along with the Spectrum 2-8-0, do not haul many HO cars. But that's not bad, because in 'prototype' they didn't haul long trains either.

What the 2-10-0 and 2-8-0 Spectrums may lack in HO 'pulling' power, they more than make up for in beautiful detailing as well as very smooth, reliable operation.

There are ways to add some weight to the boilers of both ... but it may not be worth the trouble. (When I had the boiler of my Spec 2-8-0 off for 'kit bashing' I am doing to it, I was able to add 'lead shot' to the domes to increase the weight.)

One other thing that will help your 2-10-0 (or any HO locomotive) pull more freight cars is to make sure that your rolling stock trucks and wheel/axles are 'reamed/tuned'. Making sure that you have metal wheel/axles with properly 'reamed' delrin trucks (using a Reboxx or Micro Mark truck reamer tool)  makes a tremendous difference in the number of cars/'wagons' you can haul with any locomotive.

If your freight cars ("wagons") have standard plastic wheel/axles, depending on their weight and the 'steepness' of your layout grades, a Spec. 2-10-0 pulling 5 cars would not indicate that anything is wrong with your locomotive.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Lucas1969

lou63

lucas, from the train videos i have seen i can tell you that the most passenger cars or freight cars i have seen russian decapod 2-10-0's pull is 8 to 9 cars. the strasburg railroad's 2-10-0 #90 pulls up to 8 or 9 80 foot passenger cars.

chewie8han

Lou63,
Just an FYI, the Strasburg RR 2-10-0 isn't a Russian.  I can't remember right now what kind it is, but it's definitely not a Russian.  It's a lot bigger (boiler and drivers) than a Russian is.

Kevin

Nigel

Quote from: Lucas1969 on April 28, 2007, 06:27:51 AM
Hello,
I buy an Bachmann russian 2-10-0 an i try to pull more than 5 wagon with it and the engine looks like missing pulling power, it is normal, i pulling more than 8 with my old ihc 0-8-0.

Prototypically, that is about correct proportionally.  The 0-8-0 (roughly based on the USRA 0-8-0) had well over 50,000lbs of tractive effort, the 2-10-0 Russian, was under 40,000 lbs.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955