News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best steam loco to use?

Started by White_Crow05, January 25, 2010, 05:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White_Crow05

I have a small 5 X 8 layout with 18" and 22 " curves i was wondering what the best steam loco to run on those radius of curves thanks for the help in advance.

jonathan

WC5,

The Baldwin Consolidated 2-8-0 is the best general purpose steamer on the market (my opinion of course).

Both mine run like Swiss watches, can handle small radii, and pull long consists easily, if you're into that sort of thing, like me.

I have a Spectrum DCC and a DC Spectrum.  I'm told the new standard 2-8-0 is just as high in quality.  You won't be disappointed.

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

May i add that the Bachmann 10 wheelers would also run well on small radis layouts and are good looking and nicely detailed steamers.
Rocky Lives

BaltoOhioRRfan

I'd go with a 4-4-0(Spectrum) 4-6-0 or a 2-8-0
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ABC

I think the Bachmann 2-8-0 is better than the 2-10-0.
So that's one vote for the 2-8-0.
The 4-4-0 Richmond, 4-6-0, and 2-10-0 are all more expensive than the 2-8-0, which pulls better than the 2-10-0, but I don't know how the other 2 pull, but I would expect that they would be fair.

pdlethbridge

As a side note, some railroads used their 2-8-0's for passenger service like the Boston and Maine. Because of the short distances between stations on their commuter lines, the 2-8-0s could accelerate faster than a Pacific.

Nigel

Quote from: White_Crow05 on January 25, 2010, 05:52:53 AM
I have a small 5 X 8 layout with 18" and 22 " curves i was wondering what the best steam loco to run on those radius of curves thanks for the help in advance.
As noted, the Bachmann 4-4-0, 4-6-0, 2-8-0, 2-10-0 and add the 2-6-6-2.

Regarding the 2-8-0 pulling more than the 2-10-0; the 2-8-0 should as it represents a larger and heavier locomotive than the Russian 2-10-0.

The 2-8-4, 4-8-4 and other larger models will tend to dominate the layout, and do not look good on the tight curves you have.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Pacific Northern

I would opt for the Bachmann 4-6-0 with the 52" drivers if I was just starting out and had only one locomotive.

Later I would then look for the Bachmann 2-8-0 (New Standard or Spectrum). After those, I would opt for the Richmond 4-4-0.

The Spectrum 2-10-0 Russian is another engine to consider. Once you have a basic stable of engines it is time to obtain duplicates.
Pacific Northern

uncbob

I can run anything up to a 282 on my 18 inner and up to a 484 on my 22 outer

I have a 284 and 282 running now

I limit my rolling stock to USRA coal , ore cars and old time billboard on the 18
On the 22 I use 40' box and condola and 50' passenger ( 1890 era)

RAM

I would vote for the 2-8-0.  Now if you were to get two i would say the 4-6-0 or another 2-8-0 for the second locomotive.

ripvanwnkl

Another vote for the Spectrum HO 2-8-0.  Got one in 2004 with DCC/sound and it can still outrun almost all my other engines ( a lot).  My grandson loves the 2-8-0 because it can easily negotiate all turn radii, including 15".    Good puller too. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

uncbob

I would get a 2-8-0   a 2-8-2 and a 4-8-2

You can use the 2-8-0 and the 2-8-2 on the 18 or 22
You can use the 4-8-2 on the 22

You would have types that were used right up to the end of the steam era

As far as pulling power --all of them are more than adequate for your size layout

More than 10 cars is too long a consist for your size layout so you don't have to worry about that

I would limit my rolling freight to 40' and under

You  can get them all with or without sound

And there are great models of all 3

hotrainlover

I would also consider the HO Shay.  I use one on my layout to pull excursion rail fan trips.

It IS slow.....   But it pulls a dozen old time (late1800's- early 1920's) passenger cars easily!

Curver will not be a problem.  It is a dependable loco...  Just my opinion...  of course!

White_Crow05

LOL wow!! i forget to check the page for a day and the responces are awesome.
I think i will start out with a 2-8-0, sounds like a very good start. is it worth paying the extra money for sound, it'll have to be DCC and sound because i did invest in a ez command because i do like to run a couple trains at once. thanks for all your help!!