News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

converting to dcc

Started by just427, January 26, 2010, 02:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just427

i have 21 0ld engines mos of them bachmann was wounder were to get diagrams on decoder installs and best dcc controller to buy money is an issue so i want to do most of the convertion my self thx for any tips

pdlethbridge

Well, to start off, each decoder will cost about $20. Each engine has to be done the same way, like making sure that the motor brushes are totally insulated from the frame. If you only have one wire attached to the motor and it goes to the tender, you'll have to spend money on a new motor. About $30-40.
The lowest cost controller would be bachmanns ez command and if you buy it on line, it might cost less than $100.

jward

if your bachmann engines are bachmanns of the split frame variety, this site has a step by step pictorial on converting these locomotives to dcc.
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

my recommandation for a starter set is a digitrax zephyr, which retails for around $150. while not the cheapest system out there, it is low cost and has the added advantage of being able to use 2 dc power packs as extra controllers. it is also a fully functioning dcc system, capable of doing all programming of decoders including readback of settings.

note that with most if not all other systems any additional throttles are going to cost maybe $100 each, only the zephyr lets you use the power packs you already have as additional throttles. i think it gives you the biggest bang for the buck.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA