News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help identifying a Big Hauler

Started by armorsmith, January 31, 2010, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armorsmith

Mr. Bachmann

I am trying to identify (if possible) which chassis this locomotive has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-6-0-Steam-Locomtive-Denver-Rio-Grande_W0QQitemZ110488679719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item19b9a37527

The seller has it listed as a #31499, but I have not been able to locate that part number on the Bahcmann site.

Help please.

Bob C.

Jon D. Miller

The locomotive is a Plus series Big Hauler. It's a wood burner. It was an individual sale item, not part of a set.

I found it in the 1994 and 1995 catalog.  Did not check any additional catalogs. 

I think it has a version 3 drive system.  Not the most reliable drive train by any stretch of the imagination.  From the sellers ad the shipping is going to cost about what the locomotive is worth.

Loco Bill will be able to give you more detailed information on the unit. I'd wait to bid until Loco Bill has the opportunity to comment.  He's the expert on Big Haulers.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

armorsmith

Jon,

Thanks, you have provided all the info I need.  It is my intention to not purchase anything but Gen 5 drives unless I get them REAL CHEAP.

Bob C.

Loco Bill

Jon hit it right on the head It was Made in 1992 the original Version 2 chassis with some improvements that didn't really work!  Best to Avoid
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Barry BBT

All,

The version 3 PLUS loco drive can be made reliable, by strapping the motor.  Not an expensive or complicated repair

Doesn't make it any stronger, but does improve it's reliability.

Barry - BBT

PS.  If some wants the instructions for strapping, send me an email:    barrysbigtrains@earthlink.net

BBT
There are no dumb questions.

armorsmith

Barry,

For the most part, the issue with buying on eBay is that most of the sellers who are offing the Gen 1 thru 3 drives don't want the buyer to know that the units are that old (even if they are in sealed boxes).  Most of the time when I ask the seller for a photo or description of the bottom of the loco, the standard answer seems to be "it's already packed for shipping".  I bought the Bumble Bee Al K. before I learned the right questions to ask, and fortunately it is a Gen 5.  It is a fine runner, but a bit noisy, and I am certain that some time in the future I will be working on the drive in some manner.

Thanks for the tip.

Bob C.