Sound decoder for a BACHMANN DCC on board GP35

Started by Kyle, May 26, 2011, 11:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

I've just purchased a Bachmann GP35 with DCC on board, and was wondering what decoder I needed to add sound to it.

I run a Digitrax Zephyr system.

Thanks in advance.

ACY

This loco is not a good candidate for the installation of sound, unless you are experienced and have the ability to mill out the frame or otherwise make room along those lines. If you want a diesel with sound, Bachmann offers a few that come with an area milled out for a speaker, that would be a much easier installation.

richg

Right now the standard line GP7 is the only diesel loco with a spot for a 28mm speaker in the fuel tank. I just looked through the diagrams and I do not think I missed any others.
The Bachmann diesels have the motor nested in the fuel tank. They would have to be measured first and you would have to drill holes.
The speakers many use are 5.5mm thick. A baffle may be required depending on how tight the shell fits.
The Tsunami light board type decoder is about 5mm thick.
The shrink wrapped Tsunami decoder is about 6.3mm thick.
The PC board would have to be removed from what I see in the diagrams and if the locos have LED's, a 1k resistor would have to be put in series with one LED lead. All decoders come complete with diagrams and install instructions.
Go to each manufactures site. They tell you the specs of the decoder.

Rich

jward

what about the gp9? i would think that since it uses the same frame it would also have a space milled out for a speaker..........
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA