News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder for Spectrum Dash8-40CW

Started by Bob Mccown, April 28, 2007, 05:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mccown

Howdy
I have a Spectrum Dash 8, part number 86066, and need a dcc decoder for it.  Which one should I use?

Thanks
-=Bob

Bob Mccown

Answered my own question.  I put a DS123 in it.  It wired up right to the circuit board.  Route the wires to the side of the board and around, and tuck the decoder below it in the slot. Perfect fit!

conradin

What brand is a DS123?  I am looking for a decoder that is small enough to be able to fit inside a diesel too. ;)

Bob Mccown

Whoops, typo...thats a Digitrax DZ123.... Z scale, but Ive fit it in some small lokeys like a Life Like C424 and such....

conradin

Is that the one that usually sells around $18?

Bob Mccown

Yes, thats the one.  Its a great decoder to stick in all sorts of things.  Here's a pic of the install in the Dash 8.

http://zbd.com/photos/NScale/Dash8-40CW_Decoder.jpg

Now to figure out how to get Micro Trains couplers in this thing.

Franz T

Bob!

I took the easy way out: I ACC'd some 1015's in the couple pocket. For some perverted reason, the screw hole from the factory coupler is so far back that a) the trip pin interferes with the pilot and b) the back of the draft gear box interferes with the front of the truck. You could probably drill and tap a new hole just a little closer to the front but I was not ambitious enough to try that. A few drops of good old crazy glue was all it took. Oddly enough, with the SD45, they are a straight drop in installation...  Go figure..

Franz T

Bob Mccown

Yea, thats what I'm thinking.  Does the 1015 sit at the right height if I ACC it to the existing supports, or does it need shimming? 

Franz T

Mine sits at the right height without shimming...