News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What Time period?

Started by Ibtimothy, January 30, 2010, 03:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ibtimothy

I recently got my first train set, and i was just wondering if anyone can tell me what era the train is from. i don't really know if its from the turn of the century or the 1940s.
here is a link to the one i got. http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Bachmann%20HO%20Scale%20Chattanooga%20Train%20Set:2003054525

jward

the set represents a late steam era train. the freight cars appear to be designs from the post ww2 era, es[ecially the 50 foot reefer. the hopper is a bit of an anamoly, however. the n&w "hamburger" herald dates to the mid 1960s, long after even the n&w gave up on steam power. the nc &stl on the other hand was one of the first railroads to convert to diesel, and had no steam locomotives when they merged with the l&n in 1957.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbsmith

The set is an generic introductory set. And a nice one too with all of the extras you get with it.
It is not strictly set in any particular time period.
The locomotive itself appears to be a generic 0-6-0.
When compared to the Bachmann 2-6-0 and 2-6-2, it is the same engine, the only difference being the lead and trailing trucks, the "2"s .
The Loco itself,,you're right it could be anywhere from the 1920s or so until
the 1940s.
The Cars are most likely 1950s or mixed era models.
This could be an 1950s era local short haul frieght train or a even possibly an modern restored excursion on a photo "freight run" for rail fans.