News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Space between tracks

Started by arbasu, January 29, 2010, 05:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbasu

A newbie kind of question about Bachmann tracks with gray roadbed...
- Can I use 2 #6 left (or right) turnout tracks to make a crossover track? Will the straight parts remain parallel after the connecting the 2 turnouts? If so, what is the separation distance between the straight tracks then?

Thanks
A

full maxx

I got 2 of the number 6 crossovers and they work great
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: arbasu on January 29, 2010, 05:27:58 PM
- Can I use 2 #6 left (or right) turnout tracks to make a crossover track? Will the straight parts remain parallel after the connecting the 2 turnouts? If so, what is the separation distance between the straight tracks then?
Yes they will be parallel, but I do not know the distance.

pdlethbridge

The old Atlas standard was 2" with the way their switches were made, for a more prototype appearance
1 13/16" is the normal distance. On curves, the distance is greater between the tracks because of the over hang of the cars, the longer the car and smaller the radius, the greater the distance has to be to clear on both tracks. 85' cars on 22" radius, need a lot of room to clear on both tracks. Always set your curves for the longest cars you have because it's the long cars that will cause the most trouble

ebtbob

As long as you use two of the same switch,  2 #6s,  2 #4s,  2 #8s,  the tracks will remain parallel.  Distance can be increased as noted above with the installation of a small piece of straight track.   Since it seems as if you want to parallel tracks,  you may want consider the distance between tracks on the curve.   A save distance is 3 inches on center.   Measured from the center of one track to the center of another.   So,  if you want to use 3 inches as a standard,  then you will need a small piece of straight track between the turnouts.   Also,  having that small piece of straight track reduces the possibility of derailments at the crossover as your engines and cars will not be going from one curve,  directly into an opposite curve on the other turnout.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Joe Satnik

Dear arbasu,

Measuring (off my screen) the picture in the product section, I'd guess:

Somewhere between 2" and 2-1/16" offset. 

Note that HO EZ-Track's trackbed width is just a hair under 2", and that there is a small gap between the two route's trackbed in the picture.   

This would give you between 4" and 4-1/8" parallel track spacing with identical turnouts connected divergent route to divergent route. 

Here is a link to NMRA guidelines for track center spacing. 

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

Scroll down to HO.

Study it. Learn it. Understand it. 

In my opinion, it is the most important chart the NMRA has.

Anything written by John Armstrong on reducing or eliminating "S-curves" is also important. 

e.g. "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" 3rd Edition, Chapter 6, "S-curve Standards" sub-chapter, p 79.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.