What is the length of 85' McKinley Explorer #13037 ?

Started by arbasu, January 29, 2010, 05:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

arbasu

Ok. Thanks.

Would they go around 18" or 22" curved tracks? Or would it look real odd?

pdlethbridge

For an example, take a 12" ruler and lay it on the curves with each end centered on the track and tell us how it looks.

ABC

18" curves are too sharp, while it will make 22" curves it does not look very good, so if possible use larger radius curves, but if you are in a bind you'll have to settle with 22" even though it will make you cringe looking at them.

Nigel

Quote from: arbasu on January 29, 2010, 06:01:34 PM
Ok. Thanks.

Would they go around 18" or 22" curved tracks? Or would it look real odd?

For similar length cars, Walthers recommends 24" min radius, and some modelers have found the real requirements to be larger.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-6001

Even 24" radius looks pretty poor.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

zachary4179

I'm Ashely using a 26" rides on my carves and it seams like it works pretty good.

arbasu

So are there any smaller passenger cars (with inside lighting) suitable for 22" curved tracks?

ABC

Life-Like makes (made) 60' passenger cars with interior lighting. The roads available are Baltimore & Ohio (streamline), Santa Fe (streamline), Amtrak Phase I (streamline), Pennsylvania (heavyweight), and Unlettered Green (heavyweight). They come in coach, vista dome, diner, full dome, observation, Pullman, and combine. Pullman and combine are heavyweight only. Coach, diner, & observation are available with both types. The Vista dome and full dome are streamline only.

Pennsylvania Observation

Amtrak Observation

B&O Full Dome

AT&SF Full Dome

I think these come with horn hook couplers.

arbasu

ABC

Yes, the Life-Like passenger cars will be fine on that radius.

arbasu

Thanks ABC.

In that case I have a followup question.
If I am going to use a 28" oval track outside of a concentric 22" oval track and that I wish to use a turnout for track switch - should I be using the #6 remote turnouts or the other #6 longer turnouts? If I use the regular #6 turnouts how long a straigh piece of track should I need to make up for the 6" difference in radius?

Thanks

BestSnowman

I have some Bachmann 85' dome cars and they will navigate 18" radius curves, they do overhang quite a bit though.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Frankv

My 6 yr old grandson & I  have a layout consisting of 18" & 22" nested loops bent into the shape of a U. I confess I bought the McKinley Explorer set without even thinking about the length of the cars; confirming perhaps that I have more money than common sense. Anyway, my little partner hooked up the Explorer on his own and sent it down toward the first 22" curve. My heart leaped into my throat as I saw the enormous overhang, and I got ready to deal with a disastrous derailment. But, the Explorer chugged on through the 8 curves, and it has been running successfully ever since with no troubles. Unless one wanted to worry about "looking good". I realize that some of you on this forum legitimately breathe a purer air than my little partner & I do. I mean no insult by that remark. I thoroughly enjoyed P.D.Lethbridges' dreaming in a recent post about possible changes to the J and K steam engines. But my little partner and I consider satisfying and successful operation to consist solely of our equipment completing its journey without derailment. And "looking good"? Well I ask you Ladies and Gentlemen, should we be too concerned about that? At any given moment on our layout the McKinley Explorer heading north with its butt hanging over might find passing it heading south Thomas or Percy tugging a gaggle of Troublesome Trucks.