News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another EZ turnout question

Started by PetalumaLoco, January 29, 2010, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetalumaLoco

Any reason the above setup shouldn't work?

If I switch turnout A to the inner loop, the engine will run in the inner loop no problem. The instant I switch turnout B to the inner loop the engine stops.

With a voltmeter, turnout A switched to the inner loop including the section between A and B has voltage. When turnout A and B are switched to the inner loop, including the section between A and B, it has no voltage.

Also, I'm switching the turnouts manually. Throwing turnout B back to the outside loop doesn't always get the points lined up, or route the power back either. Is turnout B defective?

Thanks
Dennis

skipgear

Bachmann turnouts are power routing. They only pass power in the direction that the turnout is thrown. You are feeding them from the leg of the turnout, when you switch away from the straight leg, you are no longer passing power. If you move your power feed to just between the two turnouts, at the top of the image, you should be able to select whichever route you want. When you select one route with both turnouts thrown to that route, the other will be dormant. If you switch one to the inner, and one to the outer route, both will work until the loco comes to the turnout and causes a short. If you want to run trains without worrying about how the turnouts are thrown, add another feeder on your inner loop.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

PetalumaLoco

Thanks skipgear, I was wondering if that might be the fix. After your explanation it all makes sense.

railer256

That's a nice image you created of your track - can I ask you what you used for it?  Does it have Bachmann standard tracks in it?

PetalumaLoco

Quote from: railer256 on February 01, 2010, 01:38:42 PM
That's a nice image you created of your track - can I ask you what you used for it?  Does it have Bachmann standard tracks in it?
AnyRail
http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

I'm on the demo version, you can lay 50 track sections. Registered for $59 it's unlimited.
Has Bachmann EZ Track and many other brands and scales. I find it very easy to use, much easier than XTrkCad, however XTrkCad is free. I may never pop the $59 for AnyRail, I don't use it that much.

Maya

My reply is a question:
      I built a HO layout with 7 turnouts (regular Atlas no 6 turnouts) I had 2 power packs and insulated joiners and got 2 trains running independently. Switched yards etc. no problem.
     I bought a collection of N trains with EZ track and power routing turnouts. Now nothing works! What is the use of these turnouts other than causing electrical problems?

ABC

Do you have your turnouts wired correctly and the power only goes to the route the switch is set to ie divergent or straight.

Maya

Good question! I know that as soon as I throw the switch to the divergent, the train stops so it can't even get to the divergent. The turnouts are new, they should be wired OK! I'm going to do some more testing >:(

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.