News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

confused about wheel sizes

Started by ducktrain, January 29, 2010, 10:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducktrain

We bought the Pacific Flyer Train Set (item #00692) for my son for Christmas.  However, it only took a day for one of the plastic wheels and a coupler to break, all on the same box car.  I am pretty sure his plan is to get not just one new wheel, but a set of metal wheels and replace all of them.  However, I don't get what these sizes mean.  They show a 36" Flat Back Wheel Set (item #42903) and a 33" flat back wheel set (item #42904).  how do I tell which size he has?  I measured the wheel and it is 9/16" from inside to inside, 3/4" from outside of wheel to outside of other wheel, and 1" from the outside pin to the other outside pin.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ABC

Typically, 33" wheels are for freight cars and 36" wheels are for passenger cars. So you would want the 33" wheel-sets being as you are replacing wheels on a freight car.

ducktrain

Thank you so much for that insight!  I looked everywhere for some sort of specs on that.  I am so glad you responded.  One more question...  (since the coupler broke too)  It came with body-mounted EZ Mate Couplers.  I see that there are some magnetic ones.  I am wondering if those wouldn't be easier for my son.  He is so patient when he puts the cars together on the track, but I thought if they were easier, I might as well replace all of those as well with magnetic ones.  What's your opinion?

ABC

Quote from: ducktrain on January 29, 2010, 11:42:38 PM
It came with body-mounted EZ Mate Couplers.  I see that there are some magnetic ones.
The E-Z Mate Couplers are the same magnetic ones that your rolling stock already has. The couplers you saw on Bachmann's website are the same as the ones that you already have. Although they are magnetic, they do not really go together like two magnets would.
I am wondering if those wouldn't be easier for my son.
Just out of curiosity, how old is your son, I am getting the impression that he is 8 or younger. If this is the case then it will be inconsequential as to the coupler type for the most part.
He is so patient when he puts the cars together on the track, but I thought if they were easier, I might as well replace all of those as well with magnetic ones.  What's your opinion?
If you do still want to upgrade your couplers, I suggest buying metal Kadee #5 couplers, they are compatible with your locomotive and rolling stock. The metal couplers stay together much better than plastic couplers like the Bachmann couplers, especially when dealing with very heavy/long trains and when going in reverse.

jward

the dimensions you measured were standard for all standard guage HO wheels. the numbers you see, 33" and 36", are wheel diameters, in scale inches. as was said, 33" is pretty much standard for freight cars. using the 36" in place of 33" may work, but ithe larger wheels could rub the car floor too. at any rate, using the wrong size wheels will throw off the coupler height and cause uncoupling problems.

you can't beat kadee couplers for durability. the number 5 is pretty much the industry standard in that it will fit mots coupler boxes. but there is also a number 148 out that eliminates the copper spring plate of the number 5. i find 148s easier to install and get working properly.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ducktrain

My son is 10 and very excited about model trains.  We had many discussions with him before he got the Ho scale set, especially with regards to how breakable the parts were.  He has figured out now how to take care of it.  He just wanted me to order these 2 replacement parts so he could put the box car back on the track.  I am about as clueless as they come on these train set ups, so all your advice has educated me well.  Thank you!

Jhanecker2

Ducktrain: You may want to checkout the Model Railroader Books published by Kalmbach Publishing. They have a very extensive line of Books to answer myriad questions that will surely arise sooner or later.  You have just started a lifetime Hobby . Enjoy & Good Luck. John II