Want to get started with G scale indoor location

Started by bjoh1938, January 29, 2010, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjoh1938

I am going to set up a G scale train around the inside of my garage, where do I start, transformer, track etc. thanks for help, Bruce

Loco Bill

First draw up your track plan.  Once you have an idea what you want to actually do, build the bench along one wall and lay you track on that section.   If you have an old HO SCale transformer laying around you can use that for starters, hook it up to the track you have laid and see how your locomotive runs, If all is well then start the second wall bench work. and so on. You didn't say if you still needed to get a car in or not.  if yes do the three walls away from the door first them make a  removable section where the door is located.

I do both indoor and outdoor G Scale.  I like my indoor layout quite a bit and have done a lot of detail on it that I would never do outside as it would become damaged.  It is also way less in the way of maintenance working indoors. 

Good luck with your new layout!!

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

bjoh1938

Bill, I want to run around garage at about the 10' level, do not have any idea on what train set to purchase, also track type and supplier, sense I found this site and help, I would like to stick to one brand?

Have seen cars, engines on eBay and craigslist, don't know where to start, Hobby shops are very expensive and was hoping to find someone going out of hobby. Any ideas appreciated, Bruce in southern OHIO

Found 6 passenger cars on craigslist for 400.00+ or - in Cinny area of Ohio, do not know what type of couplers to go with, some say knuckle and some I've seen look like hookes upside down, need a education so I do not have to re-invent the wheel ???

Loco Bill

Well Bruce it can be confusing for sure, but if you want to keep it simple I would go with a nice Bachamnn Starter Set such as the Silverado http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1354 
Or if you prefer freight then one of the freight sets  These set have knuckle couplers and metal wheels as standard.  To get the best price You can mail order it from Trainworld for $185 pluss shipping.  They have an ad in Garden Railways Magazine.    Since it may be damp in the garage I would use brass track made by AMS, Aristo Craft or USA Trains instead of the indoor track that comes with the set which rusts outside.  If you will be running only the one train you can get away with the power Pack that comes with the set. 
There is also pre made track supports which screw to the walls and support the track, or you can build your own track suppot shelves, which is really no different than mounting ordinary storage shelves.  Bachmann has many add on cars you can buy later, but this will get you started at a very low price while you learn more.    Buy some issues of Garden Railways and study the articles and ads to learn more abou things.

Specific questions are best asked in the G Scale section of this board rather than the general Discussion  section.  A good online discussion board is Large Scale Central.com.

You will make some goofs and mistakes, I sure have over the years. the main thing is not to fret over possible mistakes to the point where you never get started. Welcome to the great world of Large Scale Trains, and don't be afraid to ask specific questions here.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

bjoh1938

thank you, found # 90050 for the Silverado set, will order and look forward to your input to keep me going, only one to answer, I will try the large scale site right now, my email is bjoh1938@aol.com if you could send location of magazine, thanks Bruce

bjoh1938

How do I locate you for discussion later, I would like you to look at this listing on Craigslist http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tag/1558934163.html and tell me what you think, thanks Bruce

bjoh1938@aol.com

Loco Bill

Bruce,  I looked but don't know enough about them to really give a good opinion,  It works out to just over $58 per car and they have plastic wheels.  Maybe they are lighted and maybe not.  And they are used and you can't be sure the couplers will be compatible with your 90050 set.

Do you really need six cars?   Trainworld has brand new Bachmann passenger cars for $52.99 except for the Observation car which is $57.99.
These cars have metal wheels and are lighted and will definitely work with your new set.  If you got four new ones you would only spend $217 plus shipping. 

Maybe someone else who sees this will know more about those other cars, Perhaps you might offer say $200 for all six, and change the couplers.

As for reaching me all you have to do is ask for me on the large scale board!  There are a lot smarter folks than me who watch it, and they may have better answers than me!
Most hobby shop carry the magazine, or go to a local train show, or google Garden Railways magazine for subscription info, it is definitely worth it for starting out in the hobby.

SEe you over on the other forum!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

jsmvmd

Dear Bill,

Whilst I don't know our new friends technical abilities, I surely wish I had had advice to look at battery power and walk-around throttle control, like the TE or the newer Revolution that Atlantic Central is familiar with.

If the garage is unheated in a damp or cold climate, I suppose I would consider it to be a "garden rr" due to hostile conditions.  In my case, my new garden rr will use aluminum track, battery power and TE.  My opinion acquired from years of mistakes !

Now that I am moving again, the grr gets put on hold once again !

Best Wishes,

Jack, Altoona, PA

Doneldon

Garden Railway magazine will also have ads from hobby shops with very attractive prices, often lower than what you'll find on ebay and it's all new stock.