News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hello I'm a newbie

Started by M.Robinson, January 30, 2010, 04:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.Robinson

Hello

I'm thinking about getting into model trains.

I do not have anything yet, but am considering HO as the scale and I am interested in Canadian steam such as the Royal Hudsons.

So far I have only found these locomotives in O scale (MTH)

Any advice or comments you may have are welcomed here.

Thanks

Mike

tac

Mike - welcome to the Bachmann forum from another fan of Canadian trains.  Here are a few pointers for you, especially useful if you actually live in the GNW - THE man is Dave Cool, who lives not far from us in Brighton, Ontario.  Not only does he have a great range of models in H0 and n scales, but then he improves the deal with accumulative discounts as well.  He has a monthly newsletter with special offers, and not only has a great stock of stuff, but seems able to get hold of just about anything that's available anywhere at a better price.  Dave can help you out with Rapido Grove-style smoothsiders to go with your RH, at a great price.

That brings me nicely to my next point - a sore one, that is.

Apart from the older models  from Tenshodo and Samhongsa - painted brass of the highest grade, and priced accordingly - nobody makes a model of the Royal Hudson.  IMO this is a great omission, as you know, 2860 and 2813 are runners over in BC.  The last one i saw for sale was at Broughdale Hobbies, and a mite pricey at Can$1500.

I have three of them, and the Accucraft gauge 1 live-steamer as well - search Youtube for tac - accucraft - royal hudson on test - live steam and you'll see it.

Another great guy to deal with is Jeff Trew in Merrickville ONT.  He runs the Lark Spur Line train store.  I've been dealing with him for many years, and his service and dedication is only matched by dave and his business. 

tac
www.ovgrs.org [also a site worth looking at]

M.Robinson

Thanks for your help tac

I am in Canada, B.C. actually.

Wow that live steam Hudson is amazing, I never knew live steam existed in such small scales.

Any books or magazines that you cam recommend?

tac

Mike - right now I'm trying to make contact with Dave Cool in Brighton, but without much luck.

i have about a gazillion books about Canadian trains, but one of the best to get your teeth into is - Greg McDonnell's 'Canadian Pacific' - ISBN 1-55046-402-7, around Can$50 or so, but it's a fantastic collection of steam and dismal stuff.

I'll keep your post in mind, and when i finally get to talk to Dave, I'll post his address for you.

There is a whole lot of bigger stuff in the form of 1/29th scale - available from Art Knapp in Surrey BC - google him to get more details.  Also have a look at John burden's great site [he is one of best after-market painters of Canadian trains, and has done a number of mine over the years].  His site is called Winona Garden Rails - he lives in Guelph, quite a way from you.....[ :-\], but his shipping costs are cool.

I had a VERY impressive collection of H0 scale brass Canadian stuff, almost one of each steam loco in service at the end of steam - over thirty in all - some Can$50K in value today.  They were all stolen to order one night after a train show and I've never seen one of them since.

Anyhow, good luck to you with your quest for Canuckian stuff.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
G1MRA 3641

M.Robinson

Thanks tac

I appreciate your help

THB-DAVE

Hi Mike: Your only option for a low cost Royal Hudson is an old Presidents Choice Set issue a few years back. It had a farely accurate version of Bullet Nose Betty #6060 and the tender was wrong but for $100 it was a good deal. The bad news is that they are now very hard to find now. I wished I had picked one up when they were issued. Your other option is $1200 brass.

Dave

tac

Quote from: THB-DAVE on February 01, 2010, 09:18:03 AMHi Mike: Your only option for a low cost Royal Hudson is an old Presidents Choice Set issue a few years back. It had a farely accurate version of Bullet Nose Betty #6060 and the tender was wrong but for $100 it was a good deal. The bad news is that they are now very hard to find now. I wished I had picked one up when they were issued. Your other option is $1200 brass.

Dave

PLEEEEEEASE find me a RH for only $1200.

The last one I bought, almost two years ago now, was Can$1725.00.

tac
www.ovgrs.org