Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Just an observation!

Started by Bill Mutch, January 30, 2010, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

Joe S.

Thank you for the information.
One thing that I should mention is that there was only one center rail roller pick-up on my lighted caboose that shorted out.
About the Lionel 6-23010 series switches, I used the corrective measures in CTT mag & O Gauge train mag and still that didn't help me with my Williams engines going through the switch. Fixes that I tried were extra piece of copper soldered to the center rail area of the switch to prolong the center rail area of contact, the other fix I was told to do was to use a piece of copper at the curved section of the switch to keep the SD-45's from derailing when going through the switch.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear Lee,

Check the back-to-back on your wheels.  1.090" +.003 -.005

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-4.3%202010.02.24.pdf

Check the turnout's dimensions:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-3.3%202010.02.24.pdf

My main concern is that the back of the wheels are arcing-sparking to the center rail island. 

To repeat my earlier observation, the "other" center pickup roller has to be in perfect operating condition, as the roller traversing the turnout loses contact for at least 1/2".  It follows that the center rail island does not need prolonged contact with the roller, so it could actually be shorter/smaller than it is.  Lengthening it actually hurts things, as the back of the wheel could come in contact with (short to) the blunt end of the island as it passes....

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

r0gruth

I realize that this is a Bachmann forum and I also like Williams products by anybody.

I have locos made by Williams,Lionel,K-Line,K-Lionel,RMT and Atlas.No MTH.

Now I only have 19 locos but I have had the strangest thing happen,according to many forum posters.Every one of my locos,even the ones with TMCC,worked when I got them out of their boxes and put them on the track.Every one of them.This has been happening for five years now.What am I doing wrong?

None of my locos cost over $300.00.

Yes this is tongue - in - cheek.But I do wonder.
Roger

phillyreading

Roger,

Most modern day engines, except MTH, do not have a battery installed for any reason. The only Lionel engines to use a battery were in the post WW2 era, from 1946 to 1969, and that was for the horn.
K-Line has a freight car or two that has a set of batteries installed but that is for a sound recording to be played back.

Lee F.

OGReditor

Quote from: phillyreading on July 14, 2010, 02:20:45 PM
Roger,

Most modern day engines, except MTH, do not have a battery installed for any reason. The only Lionel engines to use a battery were in the post WW2 era, from 1946 to 1969, and that was for the horn.

Not quite true.  I bought a new Lionel Mikado recently and it uses a battery mounted in the tender (not supplied with the locomotive).  I imagine there are plenty of other examples, as well.

Truth be known, I'm not a big fan of batteries in locomotives for any reason.

Allan

PRR MAN

I HAVE A GREAT COLLECTION OF PREWAR AND POST WAR LIONEL TRAINS.
   I HAVE 1 A+A SANTE FE ALCO PA SET OF MTH I BOUGHT ON E-BAY FOR ABOUT 1/2 THE GOING PRICE BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT ON MY LAYOUT I RUN  WILLIAMS LOCOMOTIVES, THEY ARE GREAT LOOKING AND ARE RELIABLE  I HAVE SEVERAL ABA SETS, 3 GGI'S  2 TRAINMASTERS,  3 SETS OF 72 FT PASSENGER CARS AND 3 EF-4 LOCOMOTIVES, DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ALL THAT ELECTRIC GIZMO'S GOING BAD. PRR MAN

phillyreading

Allen,

I am not that familar with recent Lionel, as most of their stuff is out of my price range for the current time. So I didn't know that Lionel used a battery in one of their newer steam engines.
Batteries in engines are just something else to go wrong!!

Lee F.

r0gruth

Lee,

Lionel locos with TMCC have a battery installation but it is for sound purposes when not running TMCC.

I also think that you did not understand the point in my above post.
Roger

Bill Mutch

I'm not saying the rest have problems out of the box. I'm talking about long run! I have two dead engines that promised to run a long time. I don't mind putting in new e-units and dropping the sound but look at what you pay for! I won't a engine that will run on request Something dependable! WBB gives me that! The price is affordable to enjoy the hobby with out the extra cost for stuff I don't need. I'm just greatful that WBB is on my side!!

DominicMazoch

I can go get a ham handheld unit which is mil speced for under $200.00.  These things can take abuse.  I expect a high end loco to have mil speced boards in them.   Or at least for them to be sturdy.

True, WBB is NOT mil speced.  But the e-units have held up well.  They don't go into Gomez Addams mode.  Not bad for the WBB price points.