News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 8-40 problems

Started by communaldungpile, January 30, 2010, 04:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

communaldungpile

I recently purchased a spectrum 8-40(new model) for my son. I had problems with the old ones so I almost  didn't. Sure enough right out of the box it ran spotty, then went DOA. Turns out when I just barely touch the circuit board it takes off.. any ideas how to repair it? If I put something to hold the board down the shell will not go on correctly. Thanks in advance...

Mark

the Bach-man

Dear Mark,
I'd suggest returning it to your dealer for a new one.
Alternatively, give service a call Monday.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

communaldungpile

Thank you! I tried to send it back to were I got it, but they refused because I took the shell off to look inside. Stinks.... I'll try the service department.  My son has other Bachmann stuff that works great. Just got an N scale trolley for his b-day and it zips around wonderfully...

Mark

daniel_leavitt2000

If you take the shell off, and press down on the circuit board, then it may be a problem with the spring contacts. You can bend them to make better contact with the frame halves. I had to do this for a few of mine.

Franz T

Quote from: communaldungpile on January 31, 2010, 09:39:35 PM
Thank you! I tried to send it back to were I got it, but they refused because I took the shell off to look inside. Stinks....

Mark

At least you know who NOT to buy from in the future...... ;D (And I would definitely make the Dealer aware of this...)

communaldungpile

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 30, 2010, 10:23:41 PM
Dear Mark,
I'd suggest returning it to your dealer for a new one.
Alternatively, give service a call Monday.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Called the service number twice, left a message, also filled out the online form and sent it, both a week ago and have yet to hear back? Is this normal? Even though I like other Bachmann products, I think the Spectrum line may be on the no go list again.....

Mark

ABC

Which number did you call, because one number is better than the other. Call 215-533-1600 not the 800 number.

jwoj69

Quote from: communaldungpile on January 30, 2010, 04:04:44 PM
I recently purchased a spectrum 8-40(new model) for my son. I had problems with the old ones so I almost  didn't. Sure enough right out of the box it ran spotty, then went DOA. Turns out when I just barely touch the circuit board it takes off.. any ideas how to repair it? If I put something to hold the board down the shell will not go on correctly. Thanks in advance...

Mark
Since You can't return it to the dealer, hear is a easy trick. Take 9V battery and a piece of wire. Run power straight to the motor (don't worry, it can handle 19v, nothing will burn), if motor is good, You have 99% chance to make it work. I have 3 8-40's converted to DCC. They all working fine, but one i added my first decoder, my engine would not work. Simple contact cleaning (between pc buard and split 2 part chassis) did the trick.
Hope this helps jack