News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Guy

Started by fire16, January 30, 2010, 09:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fire16

Hey Folks,

I have about 5 trains and a bunch of accessories. I'm selling my wood shop to put up the trains for the grand kids to enjoy. My stuff is 20 years old, at least! Where do I start? Checking out the site I see a DCC controller - do I need new loco's to use such a thing?
Thanks!

jbsmith

Quote from: fire16 on January 30, 2010, 09:50:12 PM
Hey Folks,

I have about 5 trains and a bunch of accessories. I'm selling my wood shop to put up the trains for the grand kids to enjoy. My stuff is 20 years old, at least! Where do I start? Checking out the site I see a DCC controller - do I need new loco's to use such a thing?
Thanks!

In Short,,Yes.
DCC runs on a higher voltage,if i remember right,it will eventually burn up an older DC loco.
You can run a DC Loco on DCC,,but only for a short time.
Vice Versa time:
DCC locos can run on a DC power pack just fine.

First thing i would do is set up a simple test track and see if the old locos even work.  If they have been in storage they most likely need to be lubed up and the wheels cleaned.
Use new clean track for this for best results.
If the track is been in storage for 20yrs it probably well oxidized by now, better off with new track just to keep it simple.

ebtbob

Fire 16,

You do not - necesarily - need new engines if you are planning to go to the DCC world.   I just got an Atlas RS1(diesel road switcher) back that had dcc and sound installed.   That engine is more than 20 years old.   Age is not always a reason why an engine cannot be converted to dcc.   It would be a help to know what kind of engines you have meaning manufacturer,  steam ,  diesel,  etc.   Guys like Jim Banner can then weigh in with their thoughts and recommendations.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

RAM

If you have the old Bachmann locomotives with the pancake motors, or tyco, or early lifelike.  You might as well get new locomotives.