News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney's

Started by webfoot, May 01, 2012, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webfoot

What is meant by Inside Frame or Outside Frame?

richg

One,the frame is outside the drivers..
The other, the frame is inside the drivers.

Outside frames used mostly on narrow gauge roads because the firebox could be wider than the firebox on an inside frame loco. They were called mud diggers because the wheel weights sometimes could stir up the ballast  outside the rails.

Rich

richg

One class of NG locos , not Forney's, were affectionately named the "Mud Hens" because they would often derail on lightweight rails and then scoot across the ties like a waddling hen.

An outside frame would also allow a lower firebox which would give a lower center of gravity.

Do a search for: forney locomotive frame. You will find a lot of info.

The 0-4-4 seems to have been the most popular wheel arraignment. Many where first used on elevated passenger lines before the advent of electric railroads.
I remember reading some years ago that that they where run as 0-4-4 and eventually run as 4-4-0 if I am correct. Logging and some shorelines bought them up from elevated lines.

The state of Maine had a bunch of two foot roads running Forney's as a 4-4-0 back in the earlier 1900's. I have seen a few up in that state on a visit.

Rich

webfoot

Thanx that is what I wanted to know. Again thanx.
                      webfoot

richg

I have included a link with info about this loco as many never take time to search out a subject. Many links you can store. Some say Wikipedia has mistakes but a large part of info in Wikipedia links can be accurate. Very easy to do cross references with the Internet today.

http://tinyurl.com/6rf87mh

Rich

terry2foot

Quote from: richg on May 01, 2012, 08:28:55 PM
The state of Maine had a bunch of two foot roads running Forney's as a 4-4-0 back in the earlier 1900's.

This information is not correct.

The 2 small Two Foot Forney's that ran as cab forward's were used on the B&B line in Mass for just 9 months some time in the late 1870's or so.

None of the Two Foot "Forney" type loco's that operated in Maine ran as cab forwards.

For those interested in more info try Brian Carter's website;-

http://www.narrowgauge.iform.com.au/m2f.html

Enjoy if you visit,

Terry2foot  

richg

Quote from: terry2foot on May 03, 2012, 02:23:51 AM
Quote from: richg on May 01, 2012, 08:28:55 PM
The state of Maine had a bunch of two foot roads running Forney's as a 4-4-0 back in the earlier 1900's.

This information is not correct.

The 2 small Two Foot Forney's that ran as cab forward's were used on the B&B line in Mass for just 9 months some time in the late 1870's or so.

None of the Two Foot "Forney" type loco's that operated in Maine ran as cab forwards.

For those interested in more info try Brian Carter's website;-

http://www.narrowgauge.iform.com.au/m2f.html

Enjoy if you visit,

Terry2foot  

I was suppose to say, cab forward on elevated and normal in Maine and some other roads after the elevateds got rid of them.

Rich