News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 2-8-2

Started by ebtbob, January 30, 2010, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Hopefully,   the picture comes thru......I would love to see Bachmann consider bringing out a model of the California and Western #45.  I feel that this deminuative 2-8-2 would fit right in with the other On30 engines in the Bachmann roundhouse.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Anubis

There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Hamish K

California #45 is a standard gauge locomotive. I have seen a locomotive weight for it given as 234,000 lbs, which would make it larger them any USA narrow gauge 2-8-2. (D&RGW K 36 is 187,100 lbs, and that is about as big as they came)

Hamish

Dusten Barefoot

MY EYES, THEY BURN!!!! NEW PAINT SCHEME PLEASE! Lovley looking engine other than the eye sore red paint scheme and fake dimond stack. I like the engines main design because it almost looks as if it could be bashed into a EBT engine or a WPY engine.

Rock On!
Dusten

P.S
Sorry if I have offended anyone with the remark above
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ebtbob

Hamish, 

I know the 45 is standard gauge,  but I still think it would be great in On30.   Heck,   if many of the narrow gauge engines from Colorado were orginally being built for standard gauge and ended up as narrow gauge,  hence the outside frames,  then Bachmann could do the same thing,  but just leave it inside framed.
       Dusten - I am not sure if you know this,  but Deerfield River Laser has announced they are about to produce caboose kits for your favorite railroad.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Rusty

Actually, Sumpter Valley 19 would be a good candidate for On30.

http://wasteam.railfan.net/svrr/imgh26c.jpg

Spoked tender wheels, too!

Rusty

max (uk)

19 would make a great On30 2-8-2, as it could include the parts to make it in its WP&Y condition, which would please the logging modellers: http://narrowmind.railfan.net/WPYR/late-steam/80-81/SV19b.jpg

IMHO, a 2-8-2 is likely to be to big for my and many other On30 layouts, although I liked the look of the recent 4-6-0; I just couldn't get one because it would rarely run and sit in a siding most of the time because it is just so big! So I would much rather have a tank engine or 2-6-2 than a massive 2-8-2.

However, if Bachmann makes 19 with an option of making it like the picture above, I may thing twice.  ;)

ebtbob

I agree.....19 is a better candidate than 45,  I withdraw my nomination.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Dusten Barefoot

I have my fair share of problems with the 4-6-0. The lead truck design from bachmann in my opinion is a stupid one. The bar attaching to the frame acts as a lever, throwing the engine off track as it comes down from a grade, or a small hill. I wish Bachmann would have coppied their big hauler design on the attachment of the lead truck. I had to use a spring from a pen to keep the truck on the ground and with out derailing. I attached it on the screw of the truck and bar.

Bob

Yes I am aware of the ET&WNC Caboose from Deerfeild. I was going to purchase a EBT one at first lol. ;D

I would much rather see a EBT 2-8-2 than the WPY 190 class, all though the 70 class WPY 2-8-2 would be nice though

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Mister Lee

An Americanized version of Argentina's Old Patagonian Express 2-8-2s would be nice.

Also, I hope that Bachmann would find it worth its while to produce one of the little Beyer-Garretts formerly used in South Africa and now on the Welash Highland Railway.

ebtnut

We had a nice thread a while back on small Beyer-Garretts, and I think Bachmann may actually be interested in doing one someday.  In addition to the Welsh Highland Ry, there is also one operating on a private estate in Texas, here in the US.

Mark Damien

I'm sure Bachmann will eventually make a Mikado, but in the mean time I was looking for a D&RGW K-xx 2-8-2 from  MMI.

I can't find anyone who sells them new online, apart from second hand on ebay.

I know they are not readily available, but occasionally they make some, & I thought I'd put in an order, if I could find where.

Of course if Bachmann made one, I'll take two please.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

kcsivils1

Try Southwest Narrow Gauge. They are a MMI Dealer and have some of the die-cast K-class locomotives in stock I believe.

Here is the link:

http://i-sng.com/

Mark Damien

Thanks for the info. It's time to give the credit card a sound thrashing at Southwest.
I don't know why some of the larger retailers don't sell them, like Trainworld & ModelTrainStuff. When I approached Trainworld they didn't even know PSC & MMI existed.
Thanks again.
Cheers.
Mark

Quote from: kcsivils1 on March 25, 2012, 07:25:41 PM
Try Southwest Narrow Gauge. They are a MMI Dealer and have some of the die-cast K-class locomotives in stock I believe.

Here is the link:

http://i-sng.com/
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

ebtnut

Outfits like those you mentioned typically deal in higher-volume stock that can support some discount.  The small runs of minor scale items really doesn't fit into their marketing scheme.