News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 2-8-2

Started by ebtbob, January 30, 2010, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

What would be wrong with making a EBT 2-8-2?

Royce

railtwister

Quote from: Royce Wilson on March 28, 2012, 07:50:59 PM
What would be wrong with making a EBT 2-8-2?

Royce

Size. Being a 3' gauge prototype, it's a big loco, even bigger than the ET&WNC 4-6-0. A smaller loco, like a logging 2-6-2, would be more in keeping with the rest of Bachmann's On30 line.

Bill in FL

ebtbob

Royce,

While I TOTALLY support your idea of an EBT mike being offered in On30,  I think we have to look at marketing of the product.   One of the biggest drawbacks,  as stated,  would be the size.   Now,  with that fact in mind,  that did not stop MMI from offering a variety of Colorado 2-8-2s in both On3 and On30.   I have two of them by the way and are GREAT engines.
      The next problem is that the EBT still seems to be a great unknown except for the very eastern part of this country.
      The engines are not really too big,  if,  and I repeat,  if you intend to use On30 as a poor man's On3 which is what I do.  The other problem would be the cost.   In the latest issue of Model Railroad News,  there is page that shows four new reefers being offered from Bachmann.   If these new reefers are being offered at $69.99 can you imagine what a 2-8-2 might cost?   Sorry Bachmann,  but you are pricing out of your market.   
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

S. Calloway

Royce,  I am with you! What is wrong with a 2-8-2?  Size?  If 0n30 is a poor man's  0n3,Why can't we have "large" engines as well as small ones?  The D&RGW had cars of 30ft or more,Tweetsie,36ft, plus the coaches many of these roads had were 40ft or more! Yes ,they were narrow gauge, but many of these roads(EBT WP&Y,etc,) were heavy duty roads even for narrow gauge! That brings me back to a larger shay for the timber roads. This scale is growing, and I would like to think there is room for many sizes. ;)    Dwayne Calloway

ScottyB

Quote from: ebtbob on March 30, 2012, 09:25:10 AMIn the latest issue of Model Railroad News,  there is page that shows four new reefers being offered from Bachmann.   If these new reefers are being offered at $69.99 can you imagine what a 2-8-2 might cost?   Sorry Bachmann,  but you are pricing out of your market.

Yup.  I think Bachmann has a problem when On3 ready-to-run (of higher quality -- and multiple road numbers, imagine that!) can be had cheaper than On30.  I know Bachmann has a near monopoly on the On30 market, but $70?

That said, a 2-8-2 would be a welcome addition.  I know some guys like the small tea-kettle stuff, but for me, bigger is better!  (Hint: offer it in On3 as well to broaden the market appeal and spread the tooling costs over more units!)

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

kcsivils1

I cannot find any of the photographs of these two locomotives on line where I could post them here.

In the book The Locomotives Baldwin Built there are photographs of a pair of 2-foot gauge 2-8-2s. One was built for export to India and has a male worker standing next to it as a means of judging size. The caption is "the perfect locomotive for railfans.

The other 2-8-2 was a wood burner with a big stack and longish wheelbase. Built for a Central or South American line. Really nice looking locomotive as well.

Neither is "large" like a 3-foot gauge locomotive, but both would make great 30-inch gauge models.

Will continue to search for photos of these. If you have the book you can check the locomotives out yourself.

Mark Damien

Quote from: ebtbob on March 30, 2012, 09:25:10 AM
Royce,
...One of the biggest drawbacks,  as stated,  would be the size.   Now,  with that fact in mind,  that did not stop MMI from offering a variety of Colorado 2-8-2s in both On3 and On30.   I have two of them by the way and are GREAT engines. 

I am now the proud owner of an MMI K-27 2-8-2.
Bachmann, if you're reading this, you should make this loco. If it isn't in the pipeline already, get a bigger pipe.
The size & weight of this behemoth as it lumbers magnificently down the track, accentuating every bit of uneven track - just like the real thing. 

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Royce Wilson

Maybe one day I will pick up  a K-27. I do own a On3 Sunset C&S/RGS 74 and the size makes engine a thing of beauty! I love tea kettles , but large engines pull more.

Royce

ChrisS

I want one just to have one. It won't work on some of my curves, but just want one sitting in the yard

glennk28

If you want an inside-frame Onx 2-8-2, look for a Sunset EBT 16--they didn't sell well so might still be around fairly reasonable.  gj

ebtbob

Glenn,

Just curious as to why the Sunset EBT #16 was a poor seller.   Did Sunset do any of the other EBT mikes and how did they sell?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Dusten Barefoot

To no offense to all ya'll western style modelers, but the EBT Mike is perfect for what we need. I'm sorry to say, but all I hear is, K-27s and western style this and that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the western stuff, but my goodness, it gets to become annoying after a bit.
forgive my rant.

The Ebt mike is a good choice because it will be the 1st EBT model made by Bachmann, and could be universal, with the WPY, and a few railroads out west I do know of that had that style of engine. I personally would like to see EBT 14, small, and humble enough to take the radius's. I'm pretty sure you could make it outside framed from one of the 2-8-0s. MMI already sells the K class engines, though at a price that is too high, for I think it's worth. No sound no buy.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Dusten Barefoot

haha yay! I love my tea kettles.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

glennk28

#25--EBT Bob--I think that Mort Mann overestimated the market for the EBT 16, which left him with a lot of unsold models--we got a couiple of estras from him for the Pscific project--and of courseif he had a lot of unsold 16's he wouldn't be likely to build more. 

with 48" drivers there weren't any candidates for other prototype conversions like SV and WP&Y.  gj