News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Interesting observation:

Started by glennk28, April 28, 2007, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

Just got an HOn3 Blackstone Models K-27 (with the Tsunami sound)--I apparently need to re-read the instructions to run it n DC--but then observation here is that it is apparently made in the same factory as the Bachmann Spectrum HO and On30 locos, going by the way it is packaged and the format of the parts diagrams. gj

pdlethbridge

And this from their site."The Tsunami-equipped Blackstone K-27 sounds as good as it looks and will operate on both DC and DCC controlled layouts. All at a price that’s less than a third of today’s brass imports!"

Hunt

Glenn,
Another interesting observation
QuoteYou will get optimal results using a DCC system; sound features will be somewhat limited when operating in DC. Models purchased without the sound system installed are not DCC-ready in the conventional sense, as they are designed for use with SoundTraxx decoders and not those of other manufacturers.
Quote is from the Blackstone Models website http://www.blackstonemodels.com/faqs.htm

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Hunt makes an important observation.   Any of the sound decoder systems that are out there right now,  with the ability to be used with either a DC or DCC system have the same basic characteristics.   
      When running an engine so equipped,  on DCC,  one gets the maximum performance out of the system in respects to sound.  But in the DC world,  unless your sound system has an available controller like the Quantum Engineer,  for QSI,  then what you get in the DC world is usually the sound of the engine(chuff),  the whistle,  and bell and usually the last two are controlled by the reversing button on your power pack.
       In the DC world,  the throttle will have to be advanced until approx 6-8 volts in on the track just to get the sound to come on.   Once the engine is moving,  the throttle can be turned back some.   The bell and whistle ae activated by moving the reverse button in a series of quick moves.   To reverse the direction of the engine,  it must be brought to a complete stop,  thus the sound goes away.   To me,  very annoying.
        In the BLI/QSI world,  there is a small controller called the Sidekick.  This is simply wired in line between your track and powerpack,  no soldering required.   This gives you access to your bell and whistle only.
       So,  while it is true that several of the sound decoder systems are dual mode......DC & DCC.....to get the most out of the system it is just easier to be using DCC.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

glennk28

Well, It does run, and quite nicely--almost as well as my MMI K-27 and K-28.   Apparently the Tsunami doesn't get along with rheostat-type power supplies--when I dragged out an MRC Tech II it ran quite well.  Even automatically whistled for start and stop. 

I have three assorted "button Boxes"--for the BLI Cab Forward, PCM Goose, and MMI K-27.  Will have to see if any of them talk to the Blackstone.  The MMI doesn't seem to do anything with it's loco.  The club is talking about the possibility of DCC--and I'm trying to get an HOn3 feeder on the new layout. My new On3 layout will be using PFM and PBL sound systems.    gj

Hunt

Glenn,
On page 65 of the Tsunami User's Guide
QuoteTsunami will work best in analog mode when using a high
quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies
smooth, filtered DC power. Older rheostat style power packs and pulse power packs will result in erratic and unreliable operation and should not be used with the Tsunami sound decoder. If your power pack provides a Pulse power switch, leave it in the ‘Off’ position.

pdlethbridge

I think someone didn't read the manual :o

Hunt

Out of the box some HOn3 Blackstone Model K-27 locomotives are running erratically on DCC. This has been traced to factory over lubrication. Should someone get such a locomotive place it on DC powered track and run it until the lubrication burns off the motor’s commutator and brushes. Yes, you may see smoke!

glennk28

pdl--yes, I did read the manual--after I had problems.  I think we have become accustomed to expecting a loco to run when we take it out of the box.  I think I found the answer near the back of the quick start guide--

an interesting note is that the MMI On3 loco had a preference for the basic DC supply I use at the bench--where the Tsunami wants the other type.  We don't all have DCC at the bench--everything should run with basic 12 vdc applied to the wheels.  That eliminates questions as to the power supply and/or controller. 

I am quite satisfied with the loco.  Still haven't heard from the B'man about the resemblance to Spectrum locos I mentioned in the first post. gj