Spelling and grammar...an interesting article....

Started by WoundedBear, February 01, 2010, 11:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Scary, isn't it?  And then young people wonder why they cannot get a good job. 

How to NOT get a good job:

Hand in a poorly written resume and you won't even be granted an interview.  Easy solution:  for a few dollars, a professional resume writer will take care of that.

Show up in torn jeans, a tee shirt with profanity on it, untied shoes, or your hat on backwards, and you will find your interview has been cancelled.  Usual excuse: "sorry, the job has already been filled."  Easy solution: for a few more dollars, you can buy a shirt and rent a suit and shoes.  Leave the hat at home.

Start off the interview with inarticulate English.  Your interview is over before it has properly begun.  Easy solution:  there is no easy solution.  Perhaps night school or an English as a second language course will help, but these require hard work and dedication.  The only easy way out is to lower your standards and accept a grunt job at minimum wage.

Bottom line, like it or not, is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  (And if you don't know what that means, ask your English teacher.)

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r0bert

Aoccdrnig to rseearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll and you raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.   ::)

tac

pdlethbridge

Math skills  may be even worse. I worked in a bindery where the use of a ruler was essential. I knew people who couldn't use one and didn't know fractions. They were also the ones who did not want to learn something new as in the operation of a machine or different machine. They were glad to stay in the same old job day after day. As a binderyman, you have to learn all the skills in the bindery, cutting, folding, binding, die cutting, embossing, etc. Learning more is always a job protector. 

Jhanecker2

I strongly suspect that with age I am becoming more of a curmudgeon than I was in my "youth" ; it could also be that as a Q.C. Inspector for 30 years my tolerance for rank incompetence has become depleted . Is banishment from the planet too severe ? Where are  Star-Gates when you need them ?  The alternative is to retrain all these people & take away all of their toys & privileges until they actually earn them . Communications are difficult enough without more roadblocks .  Where is the pride in craftsmanship & honest work ?      John II

Pacific Northern

Quote from: r0bert on February 01, 2010, 01:54:19 PM
Aoccdrnig to rseearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll and you raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.   ::)

Any one submitting a resume/application with spelling similar to this example would never ever get an interview.
Pacific Northern

Cody J

I totally and completely agree with the article. I am 13 and use Facebook and text frequently and use Myspace less frequently and still maintain great grammar and spelling skills, in fact, I've been punlished twice. The people mentioned in the article are the kids doing drugs, drinking alcohol, skipping class, excessive consumpiton of energy drinks, etc at age 13! They are also the people that wear clothes by companies like Murder One Clothing and DGK or something to that effect. I absolutely HATE those people because they are the ones who make teachers mad and ruin our great country.
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

pdlethbridge

Your spelling is pretty good, at least 99% punlished?????  You are the exception. You don't waste your time with TV or video games but would rather learn about something.  I would also say that, as a 13 year old, you're more than willing to learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others. I wish more young ones were as responsible as you. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Cody J

Thanks PD. Oh, by the way, it was supposed to be published, not punlished, the "B" and "N" are right next to each other and I type fast and sometimes make mistakes. Thanks again for the compliments.
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The most appalling aspect of the article is that the English professor who is decrying poor grammar and usage actually said "I go"...
     "I get their essays and I go 'You obviously don't know what a sentence fragment is.
     You think commas are sort of like parmesan cheese that you sprinkle on your words',"
     said Budra.
Horrible! Professor Budra should be ashamed!
the Bach-man

pdlethbridge

Put him in the corner with the dunce cap on his head. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Santa Fe buff

Redone:
I receive their essays and state, "You obviously don't know what a sentence fragment is. You think commas are a type of Parmesan cheese that you sprinkle on your words."

:D He just got corrected by a 13 year old... Of course, I do take advanced English and Literature.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jhanecker2

Trainsrock: Hate is too strong emotion to waste on most people; disdain or pity is possibly the strongest emotion necessary.  All of us are born ignorant , most of us try to learn  better . Some believe that it is not worth the effort those are called losers. Stupidity cannot be cured , to which nature applies an automatic death sentence . Intelligence is a survival tool only if you use it.  John II

NarrowMinded

I find all of this very funny. If my great grand father were to read a "Properly" written paragraph by today's standards he would likely have a hard time believing any of us had an education.

My 2 cents

NM