Spelling and grammar...an interesting article....

Started by WoundedBear, February 01, 2010, 11:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 04, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
It was intended be wrong, its a joke.
That's why I said "that there" because it is not correct grammar.

rogertra

Quote from: ABC on February 04, 2010, 06:58:34 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 04, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
It was intended be wrong, its a joke.
That's why I said "that there" because it is not correct grammar.

The 110% crowd must be professional so called "athletes" as they are always going on about giving "110%".  Morons!

Doneldon

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 01, 2010, 09:49:36 PM
Dear All,
The most appalling aspect of the article is that the English professor who is decrying poor grammar and usage actually said "I go"...
     "I get their essays and I go 'You obviously don't know what a sentence fragment is.
     You think commas are sort of like parmesan cheese that you sprinkle on your words',"
     said Budra.
Horrible! Professor Budra should be ashamed!
the Bach-man

When my ex-wife and I were raising her children we always asked them where they were going when they used this expression.  They hated it but they stopped.  Plus one for the 'rents.

Woody Elmore

Actually it is possible to have 80 percent of students not do well in math and 30 percent not do well with English. Some students, I can attest, will fall into both categories!

NYC has a very big community college program. It takes most students three years to complete the course work and four years is not uncommon. Granted some students work full time and many come from foreign countries with poor English skills so it takes longer to finish a program but there are those who take five to six years. They keep changing their major and taking the minimum full time load so that they can get the college medical insurance.

Hey, shouldn't this board be about trains?

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on February 05, 2010, 01:34:48 AM
Quote from: the Bach-man on February 01, 2010, 09:49:36 PM
Dear All,
The most appalling aspect of the article is that the English professor who is decrying poor grammar and usage actually said "I go"...
     "I get their essays and I go 'You obviously don't know what a sentence fragment is.
     You think commas are sort of like parmesan cheese that you sprinkle on your words',"
     said Budra.
Horrible! Professor Budra should be ashamed!
the Bach-man

When my ex-wife and I were raising her children we always asked them where they were going when they used this expression.  They hated it but they stopped.  Plus one for the 'rents.

Many teachers in the school, where I work use the word "Goes" in place of "said".

Then there are the many, many people who use "seen", as in "I seen that the other day" in place of "saw".

mf5117

ha ha ,this topic again . ho ym dog .... I've read some of the post from some of the high archey , around here .and they sometimes don't capitalize or leave a comma out .the where were wear and there their and hmm what was the other one . but who cares help a guy out . My trains are still going . oh yob , keep the hobby going . some of aren't as holy as thou . but some of us learn from them there their smart people . at least i made 000,47 $'s last year so i must be smart somewear .....lol   Have Fun "THE 5117"

Craig

My daughter is 16 and she Facebooks, Myspaces, and texts on her phone and Ipod routinely. None of that has adversely affected her ability to write, spell, or articulate a thought. She has consistently won Young Author Awards in school.

I don't buy the whole "Students failing because of Twitter, texting" notion. And that article is chock full of terrible grammar and phraseology.

poliss

According to a study by Coventry University, texting actually helps pupils with spelling and literacy. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8468351.stm

Jhanecker2

63 subjects is not a statistically large enough number for a study even in the context of texters in England .  Besides that English is not a phoenetic language so that meaning is not conveyed by only sound but by spelling .  John II