News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

45 ton diesel truck

Started by DTRAINS, April 28, 2007, 10:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTRAINS

Can anyone tell me how to remove the siderods and sideframe from the 45 ton diesel trucks?I would like to remove them so I can spray paint all the parts of the trucks.Thanks for any help.
Thanks,David

Matthew (OV)

My understanding is, the only way to get in there is to drill the center plug, insert a hook of some type, and pull it out.  At that point, you can access the screw on the end of the axle that holds the rest of it on.... and the coutnerweights will come off.  At that point you can remove the sideframes.

When you reassemble it, you can either make new plugs or fill the ones you drilled and repaint.... or just leave them.  In this picture (which isn't the greatest, I admit) the first locomotive has the plugs drilled, the rest don't.... not particularly obvious unless you're doing closeups.

Matthew (OV)

Dave

Gidday there Mathew, you seem to have a good monopoly on 45 Tonners. I have nearly finished installing the sound in my U Boat. Now I have to put all back together, any volounteers?

Dave Cole in NZ

Matthew (OV)

Heh, sure ... but the shipping will be a killer!

Matthew (OV)

calenelson

Hey Matthew....I feel hurt, I don't see mine in that picture........ :'(

cale

Matthew (OV)

Hey, now.  That photo was actually taken while yours was still yours!

Perhaps I'll be able to include it in a corrected photo that will also display "Another Bachmann Product" as described in that other mysterious thread ...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Matthew (OV)

DTRAINS

Ok it's been sometine now,I got the siderods off ( with alot of work ) and all is painted now.Last night I placed the siderods back on,but when I replaced them the motor will not turn.The motor worked fine befor I added the siderods back on.What did I do wrong,and how do I fix it ?I really would like to keep the siderods on,but may have to leave them off.Thanks for any help.

David

Matthew (OV)

In the style of that other fellow ...

1.) You're not trying to run the trucks off of the locomotive are you?  If you are, unless you connect the pickups to the motor terminals, there's no way for the power to get to the motor; it's not like older locomotives where the trucks would run by themselves if placed on the track.  Reassemble the whole locomotive, so that the pickups are now connected to the motors, and try that ... report back.

2.) If you've already reassembled the locomotive, the problem may be with the plunger contacts between the trucks and the locomotive body.  This would cause the same problem as described above, as the trucks would still not be getting power.  There are four (4) sprungloaded plungers that contact four sliding plates on the top of each truck.  These plates are located down inside slots in the plastic on top of the truck.  ALL four of these plungers must be making contact for it to work.  Check to make sure that when you reassembled the locomotive  that the plunger contacts didn't end up hung up, or out of place.  You'll also want to make sure that when you reassembled the trucks to the locomotive that you put the boards that hold the plungers back on the same way they came off .... if you've inadvertently rotated one 90 degrees, it won't work.

3.) I am reasonably certain you'll find that either #1 or #2 above is the cause.  If, however, the motor is really getting power and just not turning, you may need to remove the side rods again, and try to run it without them.... if that solves the problem, you can re-install the rods, being certain you're not pinching the sideframes when you do, and that the rods are parallel to the deck of the locomotive (and not diagonal.)

On all of mine, the plunger contacts described in #2 above are going away.  They will be replaced with flexible wire, which will remove the hiccoughing stutter that occasionally happens when one of the plungers doesn't make good contact on a curve (or ... sometimes "just because.") 

Anyway, describe what you find, and we'll try to come up with more if you need it. 

Matthew (OV)
C. I. T.

DTRAINS

First thanks for the help.I'm useing the truck as a singel unit,to rebuiled a Hartland Mack.I rewired the truck for power.The motor was working fine befor I removed and added the siderods back on.With the siderods back on the motor seemed to be in a bind,and would not turn.I removed the siderods again and the motor worked again.I never removed the wheels from the truck,so I asume that they are in the same place they were when I first removed the siderods.
  Thanks,David

Matthew (OV)

Well, then, yes, I'd definately say it's a mechanical binding...  :) 

How that's possible, I'm not sure .... assuming all the parts went back the same way they came off, it should all fit.  Any chance the brake cylinder got jammed in between the wheel and the truck frame, or something got bent while it was off?

Matthew (OV)

DTRAINS

Thanks again for the help.The brake cylinder was removed for the truck to bodie fit.All parts went back the same way I took them off,and siderods don't look bent.I may just leave the rods off,but the loco looks much beter with them.
  Thanks,David