News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Acela Express

Started by jscola30, February 01, 2010, 06:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jscola30

I'm interested in buying an Acela Express, can you make it prototypically long?

ABC

Yeah you can buy additional cars separately.

jscola30

Actually, to be more specific, can the power car handle the full length (2 locos, itself, and 5 cars)

eric220

I just bought enough cars to make the full 6 car + 2 power car consist.  The cafe car barely has enough power to push the train on a straight section.  Even on a nice broad curve, it slows noticeably.  When it's moving in a direction such that it is pushing more cars than it's pulling, the cars being pushed have an unfortunate tendency to derail on curves.  Some of these problems might be corrected with some tweaking, but I'm not too hopeful.

I am extremely disappointed in this model, and I do not recommend it to anyone who is looking for more than a shelf/yard queen.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

jscola30

That actually is helpful, so I will plan on my Acela being on the short side. Does operation improve when you put the power car behind the lead engine?

alister

Eric,
How long did you run it in for? and does adding weight help or worsen the problem?.I was thinking of getting a set.

eric220

There's a very simple problem with putting the cafe car behind the lead power car: that's not how AMTRAK runs the prototype, and having the cafe car all the way at one end would look a little silly.  Apart from that, I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't.  I haven't tried it.  If you're going to short the train a car or two, I guess the business car between the 1st class and the cafe would be a good one to leave out; that would get the cafe car to within two cars of the head of the train (which, BTW, is the TAIL of the train per the decoder's default normal direction of travel).

Unfortunately, I haven't run mine very much.  There's a fairly tight curve on my roundy-round layout that this trainset consistently has a problem with: every single time, it comes to a stop (with wheels spinning), derails, and uncouples.  That curve is really way too tight, and it's more an issue with the curve than the trainset.  An issue like that does keep me from tying up my mainline with the ACELA, though.

Adding some weight would probably help a lot with traction, and there's plenty of room in there to do it.  I'm guessing part of the problem is a sibling to the gripes about the AmTubes.  I'm sure Bachmann used a similar technique to collect power from the trucks for the lighting, so they probably drag a bit. 
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

daniel_leavitt2000

There are some modifications you can do to improve performance. Start by replacing the wheels of the cars with wheel sets from Kato's passenger cars. These are available from their website, katousa.com. These wheels track better then the Bachmann ones and they roll better, which should improve your pulling capability.

I had a problem with the traction tire equipped wheels torque the trucks and causing derailments on the cafe. I ended up putting the traction tire equipped wheels on the same axle and mounted that in one of the trucks towards the center of the body.

I also filed a bit of material from the chin spoiler on both end units so they wouldn't catch on track joints.

They may need a little TLC, but the Bachmann Acela is a VERY nice set. This was the first named passenger train available in its entirety in N, and with current prices (under $200 for the DCC equipped starter set with track and power pack), Its worth a few fixes to get right.

herc driver

As much as I'd like to get this set...I've read it just won't run with curve radii less than 19"...is that true?

daniel_leavitt2000

Again, this is the recommended radius. They will go tighter, mine does 15 unmodified, but you will need to make minor adjustments to the diaphragms to clear a 12" curve.

Like any passenger train, they look ridiculous on anything smaller then 15"

jwoj69

I have Acela DCC set which runs just great, to the point that i don't miss my 5 Kato sets i had to sell couple years ago. Don't forget that any set with long  cars not only performs better with wide curves, it also looks much better!!! No matter if it's made by Bachmann or Kato. The other option is to buy Bachmann HHP-8 engine and Acela individual cars (cars are not the same as the ones in the set!), it will take smaller turns better, but will not be as good looking as the set.
I have both and i know the Acela set is better looking. At least You have options.
Hope this helps jack

davidone

I got the set for xmas and after trying to get the set to stay on the track i just sent it back. I had 19" radius but the Acela just kept derailing and the coupling system  sucks. I don't reccommend this set.

Dave