News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First layout idea...

Started by Zophiel, February 02, 2010, 12:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zophiel

So, this is what I'm thinking. Is it clear? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Joe Satnik

Minimum radius?

I see some very tight curves...
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

zachary4179

u may want the carves wider then  a 18" but it pins on what  engine u have most u stem runs on a 22" rad-es cerv and their are some stock cars that does too u may want to work on it just a littel bit other then that it a good lay out  sourly
Zach

Zophiel

Most of this track is flex track, making as tight a curve as possible in some of that image.

pdlethbridge

Wiring might be a problem as you have 2 reverse loops. Try this software  to get your layout planned.
http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

Zophiel

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 02, 2010, 01:56:20 AM
Try this software to get your layout planned.

Ah, is there a Mac-based version or equivalent?

ABC

Quote from: Zophiel on February 02, 2010, 03:15:38 AM
Ah, is there a Mac-based version or equivalent?
taken directly from the Atlas website:
QuoteSYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR VERSION 8.0:

* PC with Windows 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP and Vista.
    * VGA Monitor - Graphics; Mouse

PLEASE NOTE: THE RIGHT TRACK SOFTWARE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE MAC.
So, that would be a no, as a side note, I never liked Macintosh computers because they aren't/weren't compatible with anything and I can't figure out how to do the things I want to do. But, I could figure out what I was doing then I might reconsider.  :)

pdlethbridge

I have Linux Ubuntu on my computer and run the atlas software using Wine, which is a Microsoft software compatibility layer. Do they have software like that for the Mac?

Zophiel

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 02, 2010, 04:01:23 AMDo they have software like that for the Mac?

I'll have to have a look around for something like that. In the meantime, I guess the central issue for this layout idea is - how much of a hairpin can one make with flex track?

Also, if reverse loops cause wiring troubles, what's the best way to have a turn-around?

ebtbob

Layout plan has no sidings or yard for car and engine storage.   Reverse loop to the left that is a hidden reverse loop,  once you go in and come back out,  there is no way in save by backing into it.    I hope you plan on having some way to access all that hidden trackage for maintenence, derailments, etc.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jward

it is not a question of how sharp flex track will bend, it will bend in extremely tight radii. think more along the lines of how your locomotives and cars will run on extremely tight radii. the tighter the curve the more problems you will have. better to do with a little less track and keep the radius 18" or above.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Zophiel

Quote from: ebtbob on February 02, 2010, 06:17:03 PM
Reverse loop to the left that is a hidden reverse loop,...  I hope you plan on having some way to access all that hidden trackage for maintenence, derailments, etc.

The blue-tint and left-hand red-tint are both reverse loops. A lot of the red-tint stuff is hidden track. Good observation and thank you.

The advice so far seems to be that it won't work in this version. I'll try a redesign.

pdlethbridge

Try a dog bone shape 4'-5' on the ends and no more than 2' in the middle

Terry Toenges

If you could change the blue reverse loop turnouts to the opposite direction, you would be able to change your running direction either way.
You would have to reconfigure the blue track somehow to do it.
I think it could be done. It will be a great challenge.
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

Zophiel - I can see you do not subscribe to the 'minimalist' direction in layout design...just kidding. I don't see much room left for scenery and structures. What is the fundamental purpose of this layout?

I don't see any sidings. This tells me that your plan is to run trains through the scene and not stop. Watching several trains 'chase their tails' can get awfully boring in a very short period of time. Having a design that allows pauses for switching adds interest (and a reason to build some nifty structures) - and gives a reason for the operational phase of model railroading. [WARNING: The previous statement comes from a switching (shunting) fan.]

If this is what you have your heart set on...go for it. I am sure the technical problems can be worked out.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"