News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Availability of Spare parts

Started by malmac14, April 29, 2007, 12:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malmac14

Hi guys I am new here and in need of some help.
I am from Australia and have been a model railroader for many years. I have purchased a couple of Spectrum 2-10-2's which ran beautifully for a while before chewing out the top nylon drive gear.
Hobby shop & model railroad shops here in Aus do not keep or supposedly can't obtain any parts for these locos. I have sent two emails off to Bachmanm themselves for help in purchasing the required bits but haven't received as much as a reply after 3 weeks.
Can anybody help and assist as to where I can purchase these gears and some extra spares, as I would like to get both of these beautiful locos working again.
Thanks in advance...Mal

billvan

Hi Mal:

I don't know if this is an option for you or not but I have found by
telephoning Bachmann (a toll free number for me in Canada) and asking for
Tom in parts I have had good service.

billvan

Hi again:

I just went to Ebay, typed in Bachmann 2-10-2 and there are several
for auction -- a couple with a very low opening bid. May pay to
watch these as this may be another option for you.
You are correct -- it is a beautiful looking locomotive.

Bill

lanny

Hi Bill,

I don't have any Spectrum 2-10-2s, but, if you have trouble getting in touch with Bachmann regarding 'parts', and you have to expertise to replace gears (something I don't have!), you may want to consider trying www.nwsl.com.

Northwest Shortline is a company that should be able to send replacement gears (brass and/or delrin, I think) for just about any gears you might need. If you e-mail them, you definetely will receive an answer to your question.

I do want to emphasize that I have never tried to replace or change 'gears', but am 'assuming' that this would be a good place to research regarding these parts for your Spectrum locomotives. The reason I suggest this is that I don't think that Bachmann sends replacement parts. It is my understanding, though I sure could be wrong, that you would have to send your locomotives in for repair or replacement, rather than getting parts from them sent to you.

best wishes on getting your locomotives fixed and running again!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Fred M

G'day Mal,

Offhand if you have a parts breakdown sheet you may find this gear is part of a grouping and that is what you will need to order, I also have a 2-10-2 Southern and as yet have had no problems.

My parts sheet is locked away in a container, I will endeavour to have a look at the sheet today and get back to you.

I have found Bridget in parts to be very helpful when ordering parts for my shay and climax and which reminds me, I have to replace a drive shaft on my climax soon.

R'gards

Fred 
Fred

Fred M

Mal,
I should have checked the parts sheet before I put foot in mouth, I see the gears are individually numbered.

Can't understand why you are having trouble getting any replies, are you using this address?,

"cs@bachmanntrains.com " and address to "Bridget" in parts and see what happens.

There is a supplier down south (I'm from Nth.Qld.) I am not sure of the name, could be Zimmo's or Zimmler, if you like I can check with one of my group here and let you know.

Fred
Fred