News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

problem with crossovers

Started by tubiashi, February 06, 2010, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubiashi

Hi, I am working on a new layout where there are two parallel ovals (4x8). On one of the straight line, I have a left crossover and immediately after a right crossover. I amusing bachmann dcc system. Both trains on the tracks will be running clockwise. As you can imagine the purpose is for the train on the inner track to be able to switch to the outer track and vice versa. Here is the problem: both trains run fine on their own loops, on the straight part of the crossovers, the train on the outer track can use the crossover to the inner track no problem (forward-backward), but when trying to switch the inner train to the outer track, there is a short with the locomotive. the locomotive goes through the first frog, no problem, but as soon as it contacts the second frog, there is a beeping noise and the train stops (short...). The frogs are metal, but not wired in (the little black wires under are not connected)...I tried to connect the frogs, but when doing this, I get a short even without train, when I switch the switch connected to that "problem" frog...
I am really new to model railroading, so I don't know if I have a faulty crossover, or if I am trying to do something electrically impossible....hope this is somewhat clear...
Thanks in advance

tubiashi

Well, no replies, so I went back to the drawing board...and solved the problem!
I can see how this could happen a lot with crossovers, so maybe it is old news to you guys but it sure was not initially to me...hope this can help somebody else new in model rairoading...
I did find what the problem  was!  no faulty wiring, but faulty crossover. I looked at each rail separately, everything was fine, so the only place where "current" could cross was at the frogs on the faulty crossover. The frogs are metal  (they can be powered for short base locomotives), and there is supposed to be a very little gap between the frog and the rails which technically insulates the rails from the 2 different polarities where they meet...well, one of the rails was touching the frog  effectively connecting two rails of different polarities when the train comes and fills the gap on the other side of the frog....

anyways, it was an easy fix, just reinstated a small gap and now the trains can go through without creating a short...

NarrowMinded

Dont forget to fill that gap with something to keep it from shorting again.

NM