what to do about garbage on this site.

Started by pdlethbridge, February 04, 2010, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

With the garbage that's on this site this morning and the length of time its been on is not good. What can be done about it?
A couple of things:
1: employ captchas,  A program with scrambled letters in a box that is not readable by a computer.
2. Word recognition, Programming this site to block certain words in a message, and block the message that contains them.

rich1998

It is very clear on how to report this stuff. No need to respond to the message like I did a short time ago.  I was trying to tell one person on the proper method of reporting it. Just report it. It appears there are no administrators around to delete this stuff. The report function is directed right to an administrator who will delete it as soon as they get the email report. If all else fails, follow instructions.

Lex

fieromike

Santa Fe buff

Spam? Again!? I remember that dude with that stupid ****** crap. I reported him.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

My thought is that no cost things can be done to this website to prevent that. If certain words are used, the message can be automatically deleted. Capchas prevent autobot computers from being able to automatically log in. Capchas require you to recognize and repeat letters that are in a box, because of the angle, placement, size and case a computer can not recognize them

Cody J

The only thing I have against Capchas is that sometimes I can't read them (and I'm 13, I don't want to know what it's like for a 60 yr old!) And sometimes when I type it in, it doesn't recognize it and it won't let me login or whatever the case. 
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

ABC

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 04, 2010, 09:09:22 PM
because of the angle, placement, size and case a computer can not recognize them
nor can most people, half the time I can't make those things out.

pdlethbridge

It only needs to be done once at the initial sign in and if you are visually impaired, there is an option to hear the letters.

ABC

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 04, 2010, 11:49:18 PM
if you are visually impaired, there is an option to hear the letters.
I have 20:22 vision, I am just saying sometimes these things can be really hard to make out, but you're right you can always click to hear it.

Doneldon

Quote from: trainsrock on February 04, 2010, 11:04:42 PM
The only thing I have against Capchas is that sometimes I can't read them (and I'm 13, I don't want to know what it's like for a 60 yr old!) And sometimes when I type it in, it doesn't recognize it and it won't let me login or whatever the case. 

Dim, TR, very dim.

I'm 62.  I hope you don't think I'm blind or senile (yet).  Some of us are actually quite well preserved.

pdlethbridge

Bucksco

I think we do a pretty good job keeping the site clean. Every now and then some spam gets through but it's never up for very long and my webmaster is hard at work making sure security is in place and up to date.