News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LS Thomas/Annie/Clarribel Minimum Curve?

Started by Len, February 10, 2010, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

What is the minimum radius required by the new LS Thomas/Annie/Clarribel train?

I tried running my grandson's new set on an existing LS layout with LGB R1 curves, and Annie & Clarribel kept derailing. It looks like little pins on the bottom of the car are blocking the wheels from turning far enough.

His old Lionel LS Thomas set ran on this layout just fine.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Chuck N

With the existing couplers they aren't happy campers on R1.  The coupler assembly needs to be able to pivot for that tight a curve.  Some people have converted to Kadees and others have used wire extensions to increase the distance between the cars.  Another 1/4 to 1/2 inch separation should be enough.   Both of these seem to have solved the problem.

Chuck

Len: 

Go to the "Product Review" forum at Mylargescale.com and scroll down the list of topics to a one with the following subject:  "Teaching Thomas to run in the same direction as his new friends."  In that thread you will find a lot of discussion about Thomas and friends and their derailing and modifications some have used to solve the problem.

This topic was started in mid-December.  You will have to scroll back to before Christmas.

vic

Are these running on any reverse S curves? that was an issue another user reported, adding short 6" straights between the change in curve direction fixed it, also these have hooks on the hook/loop couplers on both ends, taking one of the hooks off the coupler so that only one hook is coupled to the other cars loop also has helped this issue.

Len

No 'S' curves, just a basic 'L' shaped loop of track.

Len

vic

Try removing one hook then, if that doesnt fix it then you may have to switch to knuckles or other coupler.

LGB shipped their cars with the hook on one side only for the same reason, with a double hook coupling the hooks can interfer with each other going thru tight R1 curves.  :o

Len

Problem solved!

I got out my flush cutting sprue cutters and removed the truck stop pins from the bottom of the cars, giving them more 'swivel' space.

Everything is tracking fine now, no more derailments and one happy grandson! ;D

Who engineered these cars anyway?

Len

calenelson

Quote from: Len on February 11, 2010, 08:19:13 PM

Who engineered these cars anyway?

Len

Excellent Question Len!  I've yet to have any real success with them.  I wonder why Knuckle Couplers weren't tossed in, since that appears to be the most simple fix for the "problem"...

cale

vic

no problems with mine, but then I did "modify" it somewhat  :o

Not because I was having any problems mind you, I just wanted something a little more WW2ish era, these as is are great for Late Victorian/Early Edwarian era ;)