Minimum Radius for LS Thomas/Annie/Clarribel?

Started by Len, February 10, 2010, 01:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Not getting much response on the LS forum, and my grandson is getting upset about not being able to play with his train, so I'll try the Thomas folks for help:

What is the minimum radius required by the new LS Thomas/Annie/Clarribel train?

I tried running my grandson's new set (he's visiting for the week) on an existing LS layout with LGB R1 curves, and Annie & Clarribel kept derailing. It looks like little pins on the bottom of the car are blocking the wheels from turning far enough.

His old Lionel LS Thomas set ran on this layout just fine.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

vic

Double post by the OP, please see my (and others) reply on the Large Scale forum ;)

the Bach-man

Dear Len,
They'll run on R1 (four foot diameter) track.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Len

Mr. Bach-man,

My problem is Annie & Clarabel keep derailing on R1 curves.

All my other equipment runs fine on them. And my grandsons old LS Lionel Thomas set didn't have any problems with R1.

It looks like the swinging wheel trucks are hitting on posts sticking out of the frame that don't let them move far enough in the curve.

Will it hurt anything if I snip those posts off so the trucks can swing a bit more?

Maybe the problem is R1 curves actually make a 3.9 diameter circle, not a true 4ft circle.

Len

Len

Problem solved.

I cut the truck swivel stop pins off the bottom of the cars, and they track through the R1 curves just find now.

Len