News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tsunami Technology Decoder

Started by NHGuy, May 03, 2007, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHGuy

What exactly is the difference in the Bachmann Tsunami decoder and the Soundtraxx full featured decoder?  What are the operating parameters and functions that you can use that the Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder has and the Bachmann decoder lack?  One is overall volume control.  I think you need to re- think this one.  There are already complains I have heard that it is too loud and no way to adjust it except through individual sound adjustment using CV's.

Bill Shanaman
Sugar City, CO
Bill Shanaman
Sugar City, CO
------------------
Go New Haven!

http://rides.webshots.com/album/145199856bFDImR

rikc9

Quote from: NHGuy on May 03, 2007, 04:22:39 PM
What exactly is the difference in the Bachmann Tsunami decoder and the Soundtraxx full featured decoder?  What are the operating parameters and functions that you can use that the Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder has and the Bachmann decoder lack?  One is overall volume control.  I think you need to re- think this one.  There are already complains I have heard that it is too loud and no way to adjust it except through individual sound adjustment using CV's.

Bill Shanaman
Sugar City, CO

I searched the SoundTraxx group and I thought you got your answer in the Yahoo SoundTraxx group. The stock Bachmann decoder is specific to Bachmann just as the Roundhouse decoder is specific to MRC.
Possibly Tony's Trains can help you. Call them.
I have SoundTraxx decoders and CVs are the normal way to control sound. Maybe you will have to insert a resistor in series with one speaker lead. If you are just ranting, well there is nothing I can do about that.

rikc9

GN.2-6-8-0

If in fact there is a difference between the Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder and the Bachmann Tsunami decoder it begs the question is this where the problem with the sound equipted Spectrum engine's is occurring?
Many modelers wish this issue to be resolved.
There seems to have been very few concerns/complaints with the DCC ready locomotives as opposed to the former
Rocky Lives

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The decoder in our locomotives gives seven sounds. Function 8 is sound on/ off.  Full feature Tsunami decoders give more. I have had no problems with any I've displayed and operated at shows. The volume is adjustable, but with a DCC system that is more advanced than EZ Command, such as a Lenz system.  This is, I believe, common to all decoders.
Have Fun!
the Bach-man
PS,
"Begging the  question" means using circular reasoning to answer a question, viz: Does God exist? Yes. How do you know? It says so in the Bible. How do you know that's right? Because God wrote it...
Less desireable, but acceptable: avoiding the question by using a statement somewhat related.
It does not mean "This brings up the question"...
Sorry, GN, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The phrase is so often misused (Matt Lauer) that I feel it's important not to give in to popular misuse.

NHGuy

I searched the SoundTraxx group and I thought you got your answer in the Yahoo SoundTraxx group. The stock Bachmann decoder is specific to Bachmann just as the Roundhouse decoder is specific to MRC.
Possibly Tony's Trains can help you. Call them.
I have SoundTraxx decoders and CVs are the normal way to control sound. Maybe you will have to insert a resistor in series with one speaker lead. If you are just ranting, well there is nothing I can do about that.

rikc9

Well Rick, I'm not ranting.  I was not one asking the question.  Someone on another group was having a problem with adjusting the overall volume with his system.  I don't have a Bachmann Tsunami equipped engine.  I put a full function Tsunami in a Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0 myself.  I was trying to get the difference out in the open so folks (an myself) could understand.

Thanks for the response there Bach-Man.  That clears thing up a little.

Bill Shanaman
Sugar City, CO
------------------
Go New Haven!

ebtbob

Bill,

At the end of your opening thread you mentioned the possibility of having to use individual CVs to adjust volume.   As I see it,  I like that method because to me,  certain sounds should louder than others.   When you control the volume thru a master "thingy" - whatever,  you lose that capability.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

NHGuy

Bob,

Actually you don't.  The overall volume is a separate control from the individual sound controls.  That makes it nice to do it both ways and here's why.

As you said individual controls adjust the sounds so some are louder then others. On steam engines the predominant sounds are the pop off valve, the bell and the whistle.  I also consider the turbo generator as a predominant sound when it's on. The others are subdued even the exhaust until you move.  When you adjust those sounds to blend with each other they sound great.

Now, when you are in a room full of sound equipped engines, like I have been with my ops group (one of them 100% Tsunami), it becomes a little overwhelming volume wise.  This is where the overall volume control come in.  As you have already mixed the sounds for a particular engine, lowering the overall volume doesn't affect them individually. It just brings the volume down to a tolerable level. Especially in that type of environment.  Which makes for a more pleasant ops session.  After a while 20 steam locos all with their sounds running becomes grating on the nerves.  When I dispatch and the staging yard happens to be over the dispatch area on two of the layouts, I and the layout owner instruct the engineers to turn off the sound with F8.  It makes it easier to concentrate.

In a show type situation then let 'em rip!  That's what the public wants to hear.

So that's why I think overall volume is important.

Bill
Bill Shanaman
Sugar City, CO
------------------
Go New Haven!

ebtbob

NH,

I guess what I was trying to say is that I would rather have to use individual CVs.   I would not want just a master volume control.  I want the ability to set my individual sounds to certain levels,  then set the oval volume to me the basic needs,  such as my basement as opposed to my local club setting.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org