News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 caboose...

Started by tac, February 10, 2010, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmiller

Quote from: railtwister on February 13, 2010, 08:03:56 AM
There should be no need for argument here, but the point is, if the caboose was closer to the SR&RL prototype, those who complained would have been happy, and those who are currently happy with the model as it is, likely wouldn't be any less so just because it was a more accurate representation of the prototype.
Bill

EXACTLY...(and the same could be said of some of the other Bachmann products)

to me, there doesn't seem any point in not making something more accurate, when it won't make it less acceptable to the guys that don't need to be accurate...know what I mean? ;)
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Great thoughts have been posted here and you can add me to the list of people who love this new caboose!   As was said before,  it gives a different look to the end of On30 trains.
      It was also stated that one of you went to On30 because of all the "expert" nitpickers in HO scale.   First of all,  you will find them in all scales.   Let them shoot their mouths off and then go ahead and have fun with whatever scale you like to model in and just forget them.   One thing you can do with an HO expert is let him/her expound on their likes and then ask them what type couplers they use.   If they say Kadee 5s  then hold your hands about three feet apart and say, " Oh you mean couplers that would be about this big?"
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Woody Elmore

Those SR&RL cabooses were long. I rode in one in Edaville and I remember it being very long and narrow. A scale caboose would not look right with the other Bachmann rolling stock.

Nitpickers can always buy two and join them together to get the six window look of the prototype.

El Loco

For those whom have to have  their SRRL "correct caboose", feast your eyes on this site.
http://mountbluemodelco.com/products.htm
Now quit dogging  the new caboose. >:(

russ

Don't like it, don't buy it.

I have mine.

Russ

scottychaos

I also like the new caboose..
but as a Maine 2-foot modeler, I agree with the people who say "why make it wrong on purpose when its just as easy to make it right?"  ???

the freelance people wont care either way..if its right or wrong, they will still be happy.
but the people who are interested in more prototype accuracy like the freelance model *less* than they would if it was more accurate...so why annoy half your customers when you dont have to?
I just dont understand the reasoning..

here is the model:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products/images/uploads/26777.jpg

here is the "prototype"
http://www.srrl-rr.org/caboose557_040718.jpg

What would be so hard about making the windows correct, and a more accurate cupola? 
it looks like the overall length of the model is about the same as the prototype..
the model was designed and built from scratch, clearly based on the SR&RL cabooses.
so why not just go the distance? ???
I dont get it..makes no sense to me..

I suppose maybe the proportions of the model are a little more pleasing than the prototype ;)
I will admit the model is a somewhat nicer looking,
but still..its the principal of the thing! ;)

Bachmann really made awesome very accurate Forneys..nearly spot-on for SR&RL #8 and #9..
(except for the gauge of course! ;)
so if it can be done for the forneys, why not the caboose too?

Scot

tac

Quote from: NarrowMinded on February 14, 2010, 12:57:36 PM
In the Spirit of ON30 if you don't like the Caboose, kitbash it into what you do like, I think the caboose is great.

NM

Amen.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

ossygobbin

El Loco

As some great philosopher exclaimed whom name doesn't come to mind;
"You can please some of the people some of the time , But you cant please all of the people all of the time "

In the spirit of 0n30, We all shall agree to disagree no doubt, but  be united in the hobby.
*Please note the key phrase;  "Its a Hobby"