News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#5 switch

Started by full maxx, February 10, 2010, 05:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

Will the Acela Express and the Berkshire 2-8-4 take a #5 switch or is it too tight of a turn out
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

I would use a #6 turnout if I were you because of the length of the passenger cars among other issues.

full maxx

#6 it is and thanks ABC
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

I wish a #5 would work well as there is a hobby store not too far away that has the #5's for $21 bucks each

Joe Satnik

Dear full maxx,

The "Radius of the Closure Rail" (RCR) is the tightest radius any loco or rolling stock will see or experience traversing a numbered turnout. 

According to John Armstrong in "Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Edition" Pg. 78:

Turnout #, RCR (HO scale)

4,      15"
4.5,   22"  (Atlas #4 is actually a #4.5)
5,      26"
6,      43"
8,      67"

If you are careful not to create an "S-curve" with the divergent route of the turnout, the number 5 should be good for 26" minimum radius. 

If you are trying to create a crossover with two (which creates an "S-curve"), you are probably better off with a single number 6 crossover.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

no it would be a turn out for another loop or half loop, not a crossover

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on February 12, 2010, 12:05:21 PM
no it would be a turn out for another loop or half loop, not a crossover
So, what Joe is saying is that a #5 would be acceptable, but not great. But, typically, I would not run any standard length passenger cars under around 30" to 28" radius, however you're already running them on 22's aren't you, so if doing this you may as well use a #5.

full maxx

yeah both sets I bought come with 22" radius and do fine but like you said they do "look" kinda funny as far as the over hang