News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Your latest modeling project

Started by Paul M., April 30, 2007, 06:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Very nice, Stephen. How large is your outdoor layout?

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

Hi Lanny,

Its about 90' feet long single track with a 4 track yard and Gulf Yard for interchange with my friends GM&O line out of Memphis when he comes down. All track is handlaid code 250 rail even the switches are scratchbuilt. If I would quit spending so much money in HO I could add to the G scale but finding IC or ICG equipment in LS is almost impossible.

But recently I did trade a Athearn SD70 for a ICG GP10 in 1:29th scale custom built and painted.

the G is on hold right now as we decide about trying to buy this land or some down the road to build a new house without steps in it because of my feet and one sense of balance anymore from foot surgery back in 2003 on a Friday the 13th of all days LOL. Its been a little over 3 years now so I can laugh about it and move on.

A friend gave me the best pick me up in awhile a story about this model builder in the Northeast he can build almost anything in HO scale and paint it to almost be perfect he has one handicap he has been totally blind since birth. Now I know a little nerve damage and eye sight problems might drive me nuts with 70 dollars worth of Champ decals in HO to play around with but I have no reason to give up on my hobbies I just need to pick a darned era I run everything from steam to modern diesels if I picked one era I could save some money LOL.

See here's an example of my problem in both HO and G  ;D

A good friend of mine once commented you walk into Steve's world you almost expect to see Rod Sterling and hear the Twilight Zone theme lo.

l

I can almost hear the Engineer on the Green Diamond GP9 ask where in same hell did this beast come from lol.

Mississippi Div IC hack with proper caboose trucks.

Stephen

Bojangle

My project is in what I call a "collecting" mode.  I have been collecting and storing locos, rolling stock, track, scenery, etc....My main layout won't get started until this winter.  Right now I have a mile of fence to install, build a horse barn/stable, decks for the house, paint everything (again).  My wife has a huge honeydew list. 
My biggest problem is finding buildings suitable for my industries.  Having recently switched from R/C planes to trains, I have a huge inventory of balsa and basswood, aircraft plywood and Depron foam,  I  could scratch build as I always have, but the painting is the problem.  I have a friend who is great with an airbrush, hope he can help me.  This is a great thread, nice to see all the different ideas. 
Bo

WoundedBear

The link below is to my last "car" build. I was honored when Detail Master asked add it to their gallery. I really need to take some shots of the layout....I have one....honest....lol.

http://detailmaster.com/new_page_4.htm

Click on Sid Deitch

Sid

r0bert

n scale bethgon
turtle creek central
problem is, am I willing to do about 100 more?!!! ::)

Paul M.

I have a photo of the flour mill. I'll post a picture of it when it's weathered and decaled, but here it is in it's "undecorated" phase.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

I've also weathered an Athearn SWIFT reefer pretty recently.

-Paul
[

Paul M.

Here's the flour mill:

For more photos, see "Let's see some of your work"

-Paul
[

Kevin Strong

The latest for me is finally (after nearly 2 years) finishing my model of the East Broad Top's Shade Gap station.

It's built from a core of Fiberock tile underlayment covered with Precision Products plastic veneer sheets, Grandt Line windows and other bits of styrene. More on it's construction can be found here:

http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34517

Later,

K

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

I am truly impressed with the skills and knowledge displayed.

For me, after months of just talk, I am going to delve into the world of HO when a friend is giving me his HO layout. The rolling stock and engines I will purchase. He did the Erie-Lackawanna, and so will I to start. There are a bunch of Athern, Atlas, Proto and Spectrum F-8's, an Alco C-425 (I think), a Mantua Berk, and lots of custom painted rolling stock. Will have to convert it to DCC. Lots of work to do and will post pix elsewhere if anyone is interested. Or I can e-mail pix to you so's not to clog up this site.

Best Wishes,

Jack

engineerkyle

Here is a Mich Alkali Co. Soda Ash Facility;

I messed up the original paint job, so these photos show a repaint.

CHEERS!

Paul M.

-Paul
[

engineerkyle

Nice Paul!

That's a tasty orange sign.

WoundedBear

Here's a new piece of detail for the layout.....

This is Woodland Scenic's Track Loader kit.......just a few more details to add.