News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Christmas and regular gandy dancers

Started by mickeykelley, February 10, 2010, 04:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

I now have 2 dead Christmas gandy dancers and the regular moves but the handle does not move up and down any more.  Are parts still available?  I know you can repair them, but the $50 cost plus shipping I might as well buy another.  They don't seem to last.

Loco Bill

Mickey,

None of the handcars were very good runners or very long lasting, but the later version had an improved motor and gear set.

If your Christmas handcars are white they are the latest version starting in 1996.  Any other color and they are the older versions which were extremely poor.   You may be able to repair them your self.  The biggest problem with all of them is poor electrical pickup.   make sure the wheels are squeaky clean, and put a drop of oil with graphite on the axles where they go thru the metal holes on the body.  Since the trailer wheels provide pickup as well do the same with the trailer.  Be sure to clean the trailer tongue  and the hitch as well. 

I f the motor runs but nothing moves the most common cause is that one of the gears has slipped out of place.  Open it up carefully and you will see how the electrical contacts work and expose the gears.  If one is out of place slide it back into contact and put a drop of super glue on both sides of the gear.  You will also see how the handle mechanism works, and you can most likely reattach whatever came loose.

The latest version of the regular gandy dancer came out in 1997 and is gray in color, repairs same as above. 

I can't help with the yellow one because I have never been inside one, same is true of the green or red Christmas version.

Worst case is that you totally screw them up and use them for decoration on your layout.

Good luck!!

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Loco Bill

M ickey, I forgot to mention that there is an exploded diagram of the handcars.  You can get to them by clicking on the product reference link on the left of this screen and scroll down to G Scale.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Dave

Mickey, I have had one of these HandCars for years and have finally given up trying to get it to maintain electrical contact with the rails so I am in the process of converting it to run off rechargable batteries. After a few experiments I have settled on using 6volts to run it with a soft start fitted in. Still looking for a good soft start circuit. Don't be afraid to kitbash it as they are fairly rugged, except for the drive mechanism which will be quite happy running on 6volts.

Cheers

Dave in NZ

mickeykelley

Quote from: Loco Bill on February 12, 2010, 05:42:39 PM
M ickey, I forgot to mention that there is an exploded diagram of the handcars.  You can get to them by clicking on the product reference link on the left of this screen and scroll down to G Scale.

Would love to have that but there is no G Scale under the Product Reference and I did not find anything close in that area.

Dave

You have to scroll right down to the bottom and click on Xmas Hand Cars and wait a couple of minutes for it to download. Believe me, it is there.

Cheers
                                         Dave

mickeykelley

You have to get it under site map, not product reference..  Got it.  Thanks.