News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Via rail passenger car

Started by vianut, February 11, 2010, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vianut

My brother-in-law collects Via Rail passenger trains.  There is a car that we don't know the name of.  It looks like the standard passenger car, but it would be the last car and has a half-moon black deck on the tail end...looks like an observation deck for personnel?

Can anyone tell me what the name of this car is so we can shop for it?

Thanks!

pipefitter

Is this the blue, black and yellow paint scheme cars? Sounds like an "Observation" or "Business" car.
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

vianut

Yes, they are blue cars with yellow

pipefitter

I have been looking and looking since I saw your original post but can't find a picture or lead. However, I know I have seen an open platform heavyweight observation car in blue and yellow VIA colors. I'll keep looking. Cheers, Robert

vianut

Many thanks, Robert.  I think I've heard it called a "side oberservation car" as well...but not sure if this is the correct nominclature.   ;)

Debra

pipefitter

Debra, I have searched and found that VIA does not currently have any open observation cars in its roster. Indeed, it also seems that they no longer operate the blue and yellow cars. They now have the silver, stainless steel cars as well as two other newer types. (I rode "The Canadian" across the country in the mid 80's and the train had both blue/yellow and silver cars). However, does the car you're thinking of look like this? http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/GEORGIA300DC-NOV11-00-145159-17A.jpg This is the type of car I was talking about. It's the only kind with an open platform.

Here's the newer style with no platform and closed-in end http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VIA_Silver_%26_Blue_Class.jpg

Robert