News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track set up questions for the BACHMAN

Started by bhelmstweetsie, February 13, 2010, 10:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhelmstweetsie

I am new to the Large Scale Model RR Hobby.

Are shorter straight track sections available? Different radius curved track?

If not, what is the best method to cut track sections to fit my layout?

What is the nomenclature for the metal clips and studs at the end of the track section that insures the track sections line up properly?

Can I order these parts on line?

Thank you.

az2rail

I'm not the Bachmann, but maybe I can help.

First question is, are you planning on running trains outdoors? If so, you would not want to use Bachmann track. It does not last very long outside.

If you are going outside you would want to use brass or stainless steel with UV coated ties. This is more expensive, but will last a lot, lot longer.

Bachmann track is limited. They only make 1ft long straights, one style of switch and one radius of curve. They also made a 90 degree crossing.

Aristo-craft, LGB, USA trains, Accucraft, and Piko would be better options for you. Between those, you can make almost anything you want. [personaly, I am using Aristo-craft and USA]. Between these companies, you can get several options for curves, switches, and different lenghts of straights. And they all interchange with each other.

I could try and list everything they all make, put you might be better off checking out their web sites and see for yourself.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Joe Satnik

Dear bhelmstweetsie,

Welcome aboard.

Shorter straights (4 half straights) are only available with the Bachmann G 90 degree crossing.

R1 curves (= 2' radius or 4' diameter) are the only Bachmann G curves available.  No half curves are made.

A fine toothed hack saw works to cut the track. 

The shiny metal rail joiners are "rail joiners".

I call the black flat blades that fit inside the rails "blades".

Extra rail joiners usually come in the sets. 

The blades don't seem to be in the on-line parts catalog.  I was able to order some about 5 years back, but they seemed pretty expensive at the time.

I suppose your best bet for shorter track with complete working ends would be to cut out the center (2 cuts) leaving the ends intact.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tlnibert

I would suggest the you use rail clamps, the ones that come with the track doesn't last long.
Tom

Joe Satnik

I think Tom's suggestion would be good for solid rail (non-Bachmann) outdoor G track. 

Bachmann's indoor-only tin-plate track may be too thin to work with the clamps. 

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.