Tsunami sound equipped locomotives question?

Started by John, February 13, 2010, 01:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I have a Shay and 2-6-6-2 equipped with Bachmann installed Tsunami sound decoders.  I have noticed a number of the CVs do not seem to function as described in the Tsunami manual. The functions in the ~0 - 30 range all seem to work. When I try to remap some of the function keys or higher CV > 30 I do not seem to get the predicted results even though the data reads are correct. Is this not a full version of the Tsunami? If so does anyone know which CVs are programmable? Some of the changes maybe me missreading / not understanding the manual but a few of the changes seemed straight forward!

JohnR

What exactly are you trying to change?  There are a couple items that are not in the OEM flavor Bachmann uses but the majority of the CV's are present and functional.

-John

jnichols

I've yet to find anything in the Bachmann Tsunami that works differently than the stadard versions. The only CV guide I have ever used is the Tsunami Tech Reference guide that you can download from the Soundtraxx website. If you can give me a specific value or range, I'll try it on one of mine and give you my results.
Jeff - The Train Shoppe

Tim

John

If you ar using NCE Pro Cab or a Digitrax system you will not be able to program a Tsunami
without a programming booster.  Both of these systems were designed before sound decoders
were available.

The manuals for the Bachmann tsunami decoders are available here:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals.php

The bottom two manuals are the Bachmann manuals.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

JohnR

The Fireman Fred random sound CV's are not present in the OEM version.  The equalizer CV's are also not part of the OEM version.  The whistle selections are more restrictive than the open market equivalents.

To be of any serious help, we need more info on the DCC system being used and the changes being attempted.

-John R

John

All,

Thanks for the responses. I have a Digitrax system with a booster and the Soundtraxx technical manual. A couple of CVs I am have problems with are:

CV 49 & 50: setting both to 15 should enable dynamo + lighting
CV113: setting to 200 should shutdown the sound on the decoder after 50 sec (between the user & technical manuals there is a difference in multiplication factors)  I have this working on older Soundtraxx decoders.

All of these problems might be conflicts with setting of other CVs, but I have runout of guesses!

Jim Banner

Does CV31 =1 and CV32=2 or have the head and rear lights been remapped to other functions?

Do the head and rear lights turn on and off at all?

What Digitrax system and what booster are you using?  The DB150 cannot read back CV's, it can only tell you what value you tried to program into them.  The DCS50, DCS100 and DCS200 can read back, but only from the programming track.  None can read read from the main.

The Technical Reference Manual does not necessarily apply to the Bachmann decoder with Tsunami technology.  Only the two manuals that Tim Anders linked to apply.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JohnR

I must disagree with regard to the manuals.  The Steam Technical Reference still applies.  The decoder IS a Tsunami with the only caveat being that only CV's in the Bachmann CV listing (see Product Reference on this site) are supported.

For a dynamo light effect, CV33=65, CV34=66, CV49=15, CV50=15.  Setting a value for CV113 has worked for me in the past on Bachmann OEM Tsu's.  At the very least, all of these should be settable via Program on Main mode.

One thing that Bachmann does is set CV30=4.  This mass remaps F9-F12 in place of F5-F8.  There are also individual feature remaps on some of these function keys.  This can be confusing if you're familiar with the open market Tsunami.  Setting CV30=0 and resetting the function key CV's back to defaults (see OEM Users Guide pg 23) will restore things.  Note that there are no Fx5 or Fx6 functions on the OEM unit and injector sounds are not supported.

-John

John

Thanks for the help. You are correct on the light & dyno. I missed setting CV 33 and 34 to turn both the light and dyno on. I made the assumption that setting CV 49 and 50 turned it on. I still have not got CV 113 to work. It may be a problem with another CV having to be set or the manual also mentions not having any functions turned on. I do not know what this means?

It would be nice if Bachmann created their own document explaining the OEM CVs. The best I can tell the Bachmann manuals on the Soundtrax site are the same ones that come on the provided CD?