News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Auto reverse module

Started by McCullough, February 13, 2010, 07:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris350

Quote from: McCullough on February 15, 2010, 10:02:07 PM
Chris, I'm a bit thick when it comes to this stuff. Can you explain step by step hook up for your PSX-AR. bus to terminal??? Are you using a separate booster for power??
it's really straight forward.  On the one side the unit is labeled inputs in small letters (there's a large black capacitor on this end as well), the other outputs in larger letters.  There is a two wire terminal block at each location.  The bus feed goes to inputs, and the isolated loop is fed from outputs.  The logic being ( and JB will shoot this full of holes if I'm wrong...please do I need to learn this stuff too) the buss and main lines are the same polarity.  It's the loop that needs to flip as the engine enters and exits.  Therefore I should have clean power in to the unit and a single reversible feed to the loop.  I have sought to achieve is eliminate the track as the power source to the PS-AR.
  To make sure we covered all the bases here, you have seen the labeling correct?  If not you may just have the unit wired in reverse. Sometime it's the smallest details the trip us right?
  I use a Zephry powering 6-8 feeders on a 12x5 double oval with a wye and reverse loop.  One PS-AR on each reverse loop.  I don't use the remote switch capability of the PS-AR's.
Chris

Jim Banner

Sounds like Chris is right on.  Particularly the part about no other feeds to the return loop.  The return loop MUST be fed ONLY by the output of the reverser.  Chris' suggestion that you might have the inputs and outputs interchanged is a possibility that I had not thought of, but it would certainly affect performance.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chris350

Quote from: Jim Banner on February 17, 2010, 12:33:59 AM
Sounds like Chris is right on.  Particularly the part about no other feeds to the return loop.  The return loop MUST be fed ONLY by the output of the reverser.  Chris' suggestion that you might have the inputs and outputs interchanged is a possibility that I had not thought of, but it would certainly affect performance.

Jim
Honestly I hadn't thought of it at all until I grabbed one to write the previous entry.  I think I hooked mine up based on the diagram in the instructions, and may have never noticed the board was labeled... Reading back now I think the trip voltage is the key here.  Have to remeber that because I think one of mine was misbehaving in a similar manner.  Mine are down right now, as I'm doing a wireing upgrade, and some track reworking to eliminate some other issues that may have cause the some of the magic smoke to escape one of my favorite locos..... :o :(

McCullough

Solved my problem by switching back to a basic MRC reverse module. Hooked it up and it was working in a matter of two minutes. Still wish I knew what my problem was with the PS-AR but will have to be satisfied with what works I guess. Thanks you Jim, Tim and Chris for your help in trying to solve my problem.