News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spring Replacement on Kadee couplers

Started by Flyer, February 14, 2010, 02:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I repair jewelry for my wife, daughters and granddaughters, scratch build model airplanes etc., etc. but I have met my match when it comes to replacing springs on knuckle couplers !!  What is the secret ?? Hope to hear from successful craftsmen.

ABC

Quote from: Flyer on February 14, 2010, 02:52:07 PMWhat is the secret?
Easy don't lose them in the first place because once they're gone, they're gone. Actually I think some people put a thread and needle through the spring to help guide it in place.

pdlethbridge

I use a small screw driver with a 1/16" or less blade. I poke through the side of the spring and place the other end in the coupler nearest the frame the I slightly compress the spring with the screw driver and put it on the front pin. Kadee also has a tool for this and it's also an uncoupler.

charlii

I find a #11 Exacto knife blade the ideal tool to install Kadee springs.
Also for Microtrain N gauge springs.

lmackattack

Ditto on the razor blades to hold and set the spring in. I use the hobby knife with the #5 blade. Put the blad in the spring coal near one end of the spring. incert the far end of the spring in the nuckel and guide the razor and sping to the other pin to secure it.....have fun!!!!

Jim Banner

Kadee spring pick.  Screwdrivers, knives and razor blades are all flat, allowing the springs to slide off easily, usually when you don't want them to.  The Kadee spring pick has tiny protrusions on each side which help keep the spring on until you want it off.

If you don't use a spring pick (and maybe even if you do) you will lose a lot fewer springs if you run a piece of sewing thread through them lengthwise before trying to install them.  The thread doesn't keep them from sliding off the tool but it sure makes finding them a snap.

This advice applies to E-Z Mate II couplers as well.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Flyer

The thread through the spring to keep it in sight when they spring away sounds fine to me. Thanks much for your help Gentlemen.  Cheers

mort