News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Guy

Started by GA Chuck, February 14, 2010, 03:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GA Chuck

I was involved in HO when I was "younger" ... MANY years ago - I am now 61 and getting ready to retire.  My wife has bought me 3 series of the Hawthorne Valley Bachmann trains (USA Navy, NE Patriots, and McDonald's.  They are advertised as "HO" but after some quick research it appears that they are truly Bachmann On30 trains.  This is Brand New to me.  What is the difference between Bachmann On30 trains and HO.  I have a space of 10' X 20' that I plan to set up a layout on and build up over the next several years.  I want to make sure I do this right.  Any guidance one can provide to set me in the right direction would be appreciated ...  looking forward to get back into the Model RR game .....   Thanks

AlanM

Hi New Guy:
   It is really very simple.  On30 is just O scale (1/4" to the foot) but narrow gauge.  The gauge is adjusted so that it runs on HO scale standard guage track.  Everything else is O scale.
   AlanM

NarrowMinded

I'll just add the HO stands for HALF O so it is roughly Half the size of O scale.
For Me, with my eyes starting to go and now wearing glasses, the ON30 is easier to work on and detail.

NM

Mike_AA9ZY

I would recommend googling (or binging, LOL) the On30 Annual. Carstens Publications carries all of the annuals I think.

ebtnut

New Guy:  Just to get a bit technical - On30 stands for O scale, 30" narrow gauge.  HO gauge track in O scale is actually about 33" gauge, but its heritage is such that we don't worry too much about the gauge being exact.  Most narrow gauge lines in the US used 36" gauge (On3), and there is a very dedicated cohort of On3 modelers out there.  A lot of them have taken some of the Bachmann On30 equipment and wide-gauged it to On3.  In fact, some of the models are designed to do that easily. 

Tomcat

Hi New Guy and a warm Welcome here!!!

You will be able to meet some really good folk here and we all are here to help you.
As my pals have already mentioned earlier: On30 is Narrow Gauge, while O-Scale is the bigger scale as HO. Don´t want to confuse it more - HO would be the Standard Gauge, while HOn3 would be one of the Narrow Gauges in HO.

On30 had begone much earlier, but I can state that Bachmann´s influences did make the trick: Bush-fire like On30 became popular. And there is a mass of themes you could choose from: Logging trains with all the geared Engines along with all Logging "specialities"; Maine 2footers, Tweetsie RR with the new 4-6-0, or even if you think more towards the American West - Rio Grande, Rio Grande Southern, Colorado&Southern - it´s all there, lying between two slim rails...

Bachmann has done a outstanding job in building clockwork-like running engines,
they´re affordable to build your own RR´s specific roster... ;) ;)

And you´ve made the most important way: into this forum.
Please ask any question you´d like to ask - we´re here to assist you!

Always keep in mind: This is going to be fun!!!! :) :) :)
Cheers, Tom

mabloodhound

Welcome new guy,
That's exactly how I got started a few years back with a Christmas present from my wife.
Now, don't take this wrong, but don't put anymore money into those Hawthorne Village sets.   They are way overpriced and can be had on e-bay for a lot less.   I know from experience (wife bought me two sets).
The regular Bachmann stuff is a lot more affordable and you'll be able to stretch your dollars further.   And you will enjoy the On30 gauge as I found it fit my old eyes and shaky hands very well.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

GA Chuck

WOW - Great response!!  I really appreciate the insight.  now it's time for me to get a little smarter from all your jump starts.  Once again - thanks for the education and insights. 

I'll be back and listening!! 

BIG BEAR

GA Chuck,
  Welcome back to " The World's Greatest Hobby ".
This forum is an excellent source of information, but there is also many other sites for info on On30.
 I use my On30 around & thru, a Christmas village setting. This scale fits most perfectly with that. IMHO HO bldgs. are too small & O Scale seems too large for me, although for a toy train type layout the O Scale Plasticville cannot be beat. I also like the looks of S Guage - 1/64 Scale ( old American Flyer) with On30 also.
 Whatever you do ENJOY!
    Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Woody Elmore

Actually, O scale is about eight times larger than HO; length, width and height are all doubled so thats 2x2x2.

NarrowMinded

Woody that's a fine observation but just adds confusion to modeling   HO=1:87 O=1:48 when I say roughly half the size I am basing that on the scale, not the mass or volume if the item.

NM
little off topic but math bothers me.

Woody Elmore

It's not an observation; it's a mathematical fact based on the calculation of volume. 

hminky

There is a misconception in the size differences of scales. Here is a comparison using figures:

From front to back HO, OO, S, Scale 55 and 1/48 O scale, the two pieces of track are HO sometimes used for On30 and PSC On3. There is a big difference in volume. The OO and Scale55 are only 10-15% linear difference from the two adjacent scales but the volume difference is very large.

O scale takes up more room than you can imagine, believe me I know:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/on30/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

El Loco

Welcome GA Chuck! :)
I changed over to 0n30 after being inspired by Lou Ullians layout on a VHS tape of model railroads.  Then I discovered I could actually see the details and on-board sound options and I was hooked!  As far as buildings scratch building is fun & relatively easy, but the smaller buildings were my choices From such as, Banta,BTS & various other excellent laser kit MFG's. Here is a link you might want to book mark for a great 0n30 modelers resource page.
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/OscaleNGResourcePage.html
Have fun! ;)

NarrowMinded

OK woody, I know it is a fact, but tell me how that helps a new guy that is getting into a new SCALE. I will go out on a limb and say NOBODY here or any place on earth has ever asked what VOLUME you model. my point Woody is the accepted practice is to refer to SCALE which in practice refers to all dimensions, so when refering to SCALE O is roughly Twice
HO.

NM