News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD F7A and F7B units

Started by Mr. C, February 15, 2010, 09:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I have a bachmann Plus set of #11325A & 11326B units,brand new,but the B unit runs faster than the A unit Bteaking them in did not change anything. What do I do now? >:(

ABC

You can convert them to DCC and match their speeds by changing Cvs.

Mr. C

I don't want to convert them as I have no other dcc products

Jim Banner

One unit running faster than the other is one thing.  Running significantly faster is another.  They do not have to be perfectly matched to use them together - close is good enough.  Usually you like to have the faster unit running first with the slower one behind it.  This helps prevent derailling.  But try the locomotives together as they are.  If you find the rear (B) unit is derailling the lead unit, try swapping bodies between the two units.

One more thought - is it possible your A unit has a decoder in it?  A decoder would not stop it from running on dc but would cause it to run a bit slower.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Mr. C

There is a significant difference in speed. What next?

Santa Fe buff

Well, as Jim pointed out, the B unit and A unit should be exactly the same underneath. So, you have a great option. Switch the body shells. If you do that, the fast engine of the B unit will now be the A unit and the slow A unit will be the B unit. So, now the A unit would just kick a little more power out for the slow B unit.

I take it neither engines are DCC? Make sure. DCC decoders can slow an engine down in DC mode compared to a straight DC locomotive.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Mr. C

Neither units are dcc or dcc equipped. I will try switching cabs.
THANX

Grumps

Another reason that the B unit runs faster is it does not have a light bulb in it as the a unit does.

Grumps

david47y

I have the same problem - was this problem ever fixed?

david47y

I know this is an old string but thought I would add something, my EMD FA was running slow and also making a bad noise coming from somewhere. I removed the 2 screws from the bottom and the body slid right off, I checking it out closer and ran in on the track a few times to find where the noise came from. after finally determining that it was coming from the rear I used a few drops of light oil in various places. tested it again and the noise seemed to quiet some, oiled it a little more and also made sure to lubricate the shaft near the motor. not only did the noise stop but the engine ran better and just as fast as the F7B, hopefully that remedied the problem