News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2 headlight

Started by jeff186, June 25, 2007, 01:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff186

I just got a new 4-8-2. I runs really nice. The headlight worked the first time I put it on the track but now after a short time running it doesn't light up. The glowing box inside the cab lights, but not the headlight. I un plugged and re plugged the harness but no luck. Please advise. thank you all.
Also, I want to install a decoder and sound unit. If anyone has an opinion of the best unit for my 4-8-2 heavy mtn. I would appreciate it.
thanks

SteamGene

Jeff, the bad news is the headlight of the Spectrum heavy 4-8-2 seems to have a high rate of failure.  The good news is that steam locomotives didn't run with the headlight on during the day until the 1950s. 
Part of your decision on a sound decoder might be the tender you have - as the Spectrum heavy Mountain has three different tenders.  I have the C&O version and have an MRC Brilliant in one and a Tsunami medium in the other.  Both are nice.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Jeff,

I am, sorry to say, in complete agreement with Gene about the headlight. The ONLY problem I have had with my 'stable' of Spectrum 4-8-2s is a burned out headlight. The exact same thing you described is what I have experienced. No headlight after running the Spec for a short time, but the firebox light works fine!

I consider the Spec Heavy Mountain to be Bachmann's best steam locomotive (that is my personal opinion only, of course. The other Specs are also very good locomotives)

I suppose, if you are really good with electronics and circuits, etc., you could replace the headlight yourself. But I personally don't recommend doing that. If you want the headlight to work right ... call Bridget at Bachmann service and set up a return/repair order number and send it in for warranty service.

OTOH if, like some modelers, you don't mind if the headlight on your steam locomotive doesn't work, then it seems to me you could go on using it as is.

I run DC/Analog so can't give you any advice on DCC operation and decoders. There are, however, many DCC experts on this forum who will help you.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

jeff186

My 4-8-2 heavy mtn. has a RF&P tender. This is the first time I will be adding a decoder and sound unit. The locomotive is dcc ready , now what....
Regarding the headlight burnout.  I will not send it in for repair if it is just going to burnout again quickly. That's a bit of a drag! Glad to know I got a highly rated locomotive though.It looks great pulling my 50' circus cars.
thanks for all your knowledge.

SteamGene

Jeff,
If you are good at soldering, you want to get a medium steam Tsunanmi decoder for your USRA heavy Mountain.  If you are not, MRC and another company sells a sound decoder with the spearker already wired with a socket for removal.  In any event, here's what you do.
There is a single screw in the bottom of the tender.  Remove it, and lift the tender shellup and forward to separate it from the bottom.  Remove the jumper and cut any and all capacitors.  Install the decoder without the speaker.
Remove the coal load from the coal bunker.  Drill a hole in the bottom of the slope sheet big enough to pass wire (wire and plug) through to bunker.  Using a small drill, drill a lot (50-100) small holes in the coal load.  Fasten the speaker to the bottom of the coal load and connect the speaker to the decoder - either by soldering or by plugging it in.  Reinstall load and speaker into the bunker. 
Test the decoder if you have not already done so.  Reinstall the tendershell/spearker. 
Run.
The MRC decoder has a high failure rate - or did, but I think the sound is better than the Tsunami.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Virginian

I replaced the light on mine with a golden white LED, and if I remember correctly is was very simple.  My memory is dim now, but I seem to remember it was a bluish LED from Bachmann.
"What could have happened... did."

jeff186

Thanks
I will check out the tsunami unit.I have done quite a bit of electronics work in my day.
Thank you for the step by step as well . It is most appreciated.

SteamGene

Welcome.  BTW, the coal load comes out with just a bit of prying with an X-Acto knife blade.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat