News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What do you think.

Started by lescar, February 15, 2010, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescar

Here is my first layout design,  it's more of a yard and maintenance theme with the out side track for running.  I've been looking it over and haven't seen any possible problem areas, but being new at this I'm probably overlooking them, so letting everyone taking a look at it will find what I've missed.

This is also my first time trying to post an image, so will see what happens.

Les   

All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

ABC

Check for possible problems for overhang with things like 89' box cars and articulated auto carriers etc..

full maxx

what are your widest and tightest turns
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

lescar

ABC: Thanks for the tip, but I'm not planning on running any thing over 50'.

Full Maxx: The outer curves are 28" and 26".

ebtnut

That turntable looks pretty big.  How big is it, and do you need it that big?  I gobbles up space that might be used for other things. 

sparkyjay31

Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

lescar

Thanks for your comments, :)

ebtnut: the turn table is the Walters 130', was going to go with the 90' but then started looking at maybe getting in to some Steamer's.  ;D

Also the actual layout size is going to be 10x6, but the XtrkCAD show's it at 10x5, the layout is a little to close to the edge for my liking, even when I have planed to put some sides around the edges, the track looks like it would be to close to the siding.

The building are just sitting close to where I want them, when I actually see the building and see how they are set-up, they will most likely be move to where the track mate up.

Les

ebtnut

Les:  In sizing the turntable, consider what you might be running in steam. 
For a relatively small layout like this, small to moderate size locos would be the norm, and in general they will fit on a 12" turntable.  If you go for really big power, then you have to consider your track spacing on the curves to avoid having the overhang snag equipment running on the other curved track. 

hotrainlover

Les,
Do keep in mind, that with a larger turntable, you CAN expand the layout later. Without having to but ANOTHER turntable to fit the "New" expansion!!

Do not ask me how I know!! ;D

Santa Fe buff

Les,
Looks like your going to have a great time! Enjoy it, let us know how it goes.  ;)

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Joe Satnik

Dear  Les,

Nice design.  Very impressive for your first try.

However, overhang crashes are a concern. 

NMRA says that you need more than 2" center-line spacing between concentric HO curves at 26". 

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

This is one of those "oops" that got by. 

Curiously enough, they were conscience of the proper spacing in their earlier design of the 33.25"R and 35.5"R curves. 

Mr. Bill  said "Oh, No!" when the 26"R and 28"R curves were announced after the expensive molds were made.

Note that there is 2-3/8" spacing between the mains on the HO crossover.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lescar

All your comments and suggestions are most appreciated and brings up good points.

I received my Digitrax system today, when I opened the boxes and pulled out the DCS 200, I started laughing at the size of it, I know from being in electronics that technology is getting small but seeing the pictures on the web sites, (I thought it would be bigger.) O.K "bad joke"....  :o but can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Ebtnut: I was looking at the 2-8-0 or or a little bigger, and my thinking was between the  engine and tinder would be over 12", unfortunately there are no spec.'s in the descriptions so it's hard to tell.  Thanks for the heads up on the curves.

Hotrainlover: that sure sound's like personal experience to me.. :D

Santa Fe buff: Thanks, I plan on it.  ;D 

Joe Satnik: I appreciate the information, and have a question for you and ebtnut,  if I shorten the straightaways that should give me the separation needed between them without changing the design to much.

Keep'em come'en.  8)

Thanks
Les

Joe Satnik

Dear Les,

Lengthening the straight of the outer oval will reduce the effect of the inside overhang (middle of loco or car) on the outer oval,

but will do nothing to reduce or eliminate the outside overhang (ends of the loco or car) on the inner oval, which will still stick out towards the outside straights.

I would reduce the inside oval to 25-5/8" radius flex/cork.  It will then fit perfectly with the 2-3/8" spaced HO crossovers. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

NarrowMinded

I Like it, but will second the concerns about the distants between the tracks especially on the curves.

NM

lescar

Oops, what I was talking about is to shorten the inside straightaway, so it openens the gap between the too.

Les